How much to survive 3 months?

kevinM

Registered
Hi all,

I've had a good read around on the forum in the last few days - some good stuff here.

I'm coming down from the west coast, USA to BA at the end of the month. How much will I need to survive the a few months. I'm late 20s and will be doing a photography course until August, so that's about 4 months. I want a decent apartment in recoleta/palermo area.

also, some confusion about boca. Some books talk about it as being dangerous, others that it's a big tourist area. Do any of you live there?

Live alone or with someone else? 1 BR or studio? Building with all the bells and whistles or something basic? Planning on going out every night & living the high life? Going to travel when you are here? All will factor in to how much you will spend.

Boca - no. It is a tourist destination and everyone goes to see it. It is not a place you want to be wandering around at night or outside of the touristy areas, esp if you are a foreigner.

citygirl said:
Live alone or with someone else? 1 BR or studio? Building with all the bells and whistles or something basic? Planning on going out every night & living the high life? Going to travel when you are here? All will factor in to how much you will spend.

Boca - no. It is a tourist destination and everyone goes to see it. It is not a place you want to be wandering around at night or outside of the touristy areas, esp if you are a foreigner.

citygirl, thanks. Well, 1 BR would be preferable, living alone, "nice apartment" - don't necessarily want a pool and jacuzzi but I don't want to "slum it" either. Going out - 2 or 3 nights a week, pizza, few beers. Won't be in BA to party, put it that way. :D Might travel for a couple of weeks on whatever money I have left. Few weekend excursions (Tigre I read was a good possibility for that, also across to Uruguay) while I'm here.

would $3k cover all of that? :confused:

unless you can find a super cheap apartment, $3K won't get you through 4 months.

1000 usd per month is a reasoble budget if you rent a room...

Appartment 700 dollar
Food 300 dollar(Mainly supermarkt and cooking at home)
Entertainment 15 dollar x 30 days = 500 dollar
Various 300 dollar

I would say 5 to 6k

Futboljunkie said:
Appartment 700 dollar
Food 300 dollar(Mainly supermarkt and cooking at home)
Entertainment 15 dollar x 30 days = 500 dollar
Various 300 dollar

I would say 5 to 6k

I think the entertainment figure is too high, but it does seem my 3k estimate is too low by at least 1-2k.

River Plate Platea Centenario 100 peso
River Plate museum and stadium tour 40 peso
Night out at Sunset(Entrance, 2 beers, taxi back home) 100 peso
Dinner with a beautifull lady in an upscale restaurant 150 peso
Movies with a less beautifull lady and popcorn and 2 cokes 60 peso
2 beers and a burger at Alamo 50 peso
Dinner at a shopping alone 30 peso
Tennis game with fellow expat 40 peso
Going bowling with some friends you just met 60 peso

630 peso or 162 dollar

How do you spend the remaining 138 dollar in the 2 weeks untill the month is over?

well, let's see, I hate soccer and if I have dinner with a beautiful lady, I'll need a lot of plastic surgery "down there" when I return to my gf in California. :D

but yes, I suppose once I start going on a few excursions and going to museums, it adds up pretty quick.

Yep - your original budget is on the low side. I am living down here, without housing costs, on around 1000 us dollars equivalent per month, but I stress, that is without apartment costs, as I live with my gf who has a house here. Equally, I am not "doing the sites" either - I have been here before I moved down.

You can live here on an economic budget, and again, equally, you can spend a fair bit on a night out. A lot will depend on where you end up living. I live outside the Capital and on nights out, I need to add a taxi to the night out (Taxi's are cheap enough, but when you add them into the night out, it can add up!).

As for Boca, yep, not a night venue, but a tourist sport during the day. Having said that, you don't have to live in the "regular" ex-pat venues to enjot BsAs, in fact, it's probably better if you don't, unless you want to spend your 4 months in the company of fellow travellers. Take a look at the less fasionable (i.e. cheaper) areas, and you can really experience the place, rather than living in an enclave.

All in all, enjoy the city, and the country, it has a lot to offer.

Back