How smart are Argentine cats?

Davidglen77

Registered
This may sound silly, but my Argentine cat is much smarter than cats I had in the USA. For example, he opens doors (I have had to change all of the door handles to round ones, he used to jump up and pull down the lever style handle to open the doors), he turns on the faucet with his paw, sorts out foods, I gave him a small plate of stir-fry chicken with vegetables, he neatly sorted out the chicken to one side, and the vegetables to another, ate the carrots and squash but left the onions over.. And this morning I saw him dipping his paw into the water bowl, then shaking his wet paw over the cat grass plant that I have for him, he was watering his own plant! And he loves water, if I am taking a shower and I leave the bathroom door open he jumps in the shower! I had some really sweet kitties back in the USA but they never did all this stuff. Anybody else?

Attachments

• Billy Lindo.jpg
    Billy Lindo.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 68
He doesn't look like your average cat, David....there's some wizadry there, something a bit supernatural. I've got a cat and she's sensible but pretty normal.

yes! We have an amazing kitty here who we adopted from the street, and she's extremely smart. The other day we caught her trying to lift the lever lock on one of our windows so she could open it to get some fresh air and a closer look at the birds outside. She also learned to turn on the bidet when she wanted a drink of fresh water. Love her!

What a gorgeous cat! Such interesting markings, too.
We inherited a cat when we moved into our place, and though he is sadly not with us anymore, he was smart as a whip. He, too, could open doors and since he preferred fresh water, he would attempt to turn on the faucet. One morning I was getting ready in the bathroom, only to turn and see him peeing in the bidet behind me. Apparently his previous owner had trained him. I knew it could be done, but never saw it in action...and if you're not expecting it, it is quite shocking and hilarious!
We also have a kitten (almost one year now, so dunno if he is still technically a gatito anymore) and he is the most affectionate cat I have ever known. He also opens doors (or tries!), takes a shower with me and 'helps' clean the patio because he loves water, and is really vocal. He also is the sort to leave 'treats' on my pillow.

I am not sure if he is smarter than the other cats back home, but he is certainly the best cat I have ever had. When I am having a frustrating day, this little fellow just lights me up. When he starts watering the plants, though, I will have to let you know, Dave! ^^

I think animals are smarter here... why are the wild dogs in the street so calm and normal? How can my friends bring their dogs for a walk down crowded and busy Santa Fe WITHOUT a leash and the dog walks with us like he's just another human in the group. More than one of my friends from the USA have commented how the dogs are different here.

Back