How the eff do I stop an Argentine toilet from running?

TehDeej

Registered
My toilet is running. I understand the basics of toilets but I can't see into the wall to fix this thing. It has been doing this on and off for a month. It used to be ease to fix. I could remove the button and plate on the wall and press down on the little "flusher" stick and it would stop. Now that doesn't work any more. Can anybody help explain the specifics of the mechanics of these toilets?

This happened at a place I was renting a few years ago. I unscrewed the plaque on the wall (using a spoon...as was the extent of my "tool" collection at the time) and discovered that the problem was caused by the little plastic floating thing at the top of the plunger thing. If it doesn't fall back into place properly, water just keeps rushing in. At work, we have a similar wall flusher and that causes the same symptoms if the plunger thing pops out of place...usually wiggling it around a bit sorts it out. I hate those wall flushers!

I have grown to really HATE in the wall tanks. We had a similar problem and then had to remove the tile around the tank to fix an installation problem (there was a problem with the pipe or valve system where the water comes in.) :rolleyes:

We now flush the toilet manually, pulling up on the wire and setting it back into place. When you push down on the flush stick, does it set correctly and water still flows into the bowl? Or does it float after letting go? Could something possibly be stuck underneath the stopper or the stopper or floater somehow broke? Wish I could be of more help, but I'm not much of a plumber and haven't had much luck with toilets and plumbers here either!

At work there's a toilet where you have to make sure you press the button correctly, if not the stopper doesn't set, and when you go to flush the toilet there's no water! After jiggling it around, it takes 10 min to fill up... so I've spent many an embarrassing time in there waiting for the water to refill so I could flush! What my coworkers must think. :eek:

yes Eclair, that's what living in this part of the World does to you...

try replacing the whole plunger thing if its rubber looks worn, they're pretty cheap

Ha, ha, we've done that manually pulling up the plunger thing, attached a wire to it, and had all our toilets replaced but the parts are made of such cheap plastic that you'll get a a year's trouble free use if your lucky. Enjoy!

Also check outlet valve seat.. where the seal sits to stop water flowing after you have flushed.. This can sometimes have rubbish stopping the value from closing, or slime growing on it.

I have also had problems with continuously running toilets here, and apart from a farm house with a 50 years old toilet/cisten which had all metal parts it is usually because of the crap materials (plastic) and quality of the items that are the main cause of the problems..

Back