How to avoid Retiro postal depot

Hoover

Registered
Hi All

My Mum called me today, wanting to know where to send me some small Christmas presents. My response was "don't."

She has overruled me, in spite of my warning that the chances of it actually arriving are slim.

I have a reasonably secure work address to which it can be sent, if she really is determined, but am wondering what sort of size is the cut-off before a parcel gets held at Retiro for collection? I do not want to go there. Ever. The largest parcel I've received at the work address is a hardback book from Amazon and I don't know how much bigger it could get before it becomes a post depot nightmare. Anyone?

I know she will need to say that it has pretty much no value and is used.

Thanks very much for your help.

I have had mixed results. One time they came to my place and gave me a note that I had to pick it up in retiro and pay some money. Another time I got a note that it was in retiro and I didn't pay anything. The last time I got a package it came right to my door (it was kind of large) and I wasn't charged a cent. It seems the formula requires a bit of luck but there are some things you can do to improve your luck.

Make sure your mum puts on the custom form that the contents are very little to nothing. Like 5 euros or something. Also if there are clothes mark them as either samples or used. don't list any food items. I did find the most important of all these is having them say that the items are almost worthless. Oh, side note, make sure she doesn't send any money. Hope the helps a little.

Hoover said:
Hi All

My Mum called me today, wanting to know where to send me some small Christmas presents. My response was "don't."

She has overruled me, in spite of my warning that the chances of it actually arriving are slim.

I have a reasonably secure work address to which it can be sent, if she really is determined, but am wondering what sort of size is the cut-off before a parcel gets held at Retiro for collection? I do not want to go there. Ever. The largest parcel I've received at the work address is a hardback book from Amazon and I don't know how much bigger it could get before it becomes a post depot nightmare. Anyone?

I know she will need to say that it has pretty much no value and is used.

Thanks very much for your help.
Do a search there are many tips on getting things through Retiro. Try USPS International express mail. If the stuff is coming from the US.

I was told the cut off point for retiro is half a kilo. I now use my local poste restante, you just have to go to your local correo and ask for their poste restante address. Have the parcel sent there in your name, then you just go and collect the parcel pay $4.50 for the service and present passport or dni. For me, it saved having to go miles away if I wasn't in when they knocked on the door. You do have to guess when it will have arrived though. Have done this successfully 4 or 5 times and there's never a wait at my constitucion correo.

Celia - that is fantastic advice and the reason this website is so invaluable. Thanks for sharing!

I just spent 3 hours at the Retiro office today to collect a package that weighed less than 500g and was not particularly valuable. They did not charge me a cent nor ask me any questions- it was a TOTAL waste of time! It seems to be completely arbitrary as to what ends up there, as I have received several other packages at the normal post office (all sent via USPS International Priority mail).

FedEX and UPS work great, but can be somewhat expensive. Typically they charge 50% of the cost of good+shipping, and that would be paid by the receiving part.

If the value of the goods justify it, I've used a company out in miami to which you send the package to and it magically arrives at your door. I've used them at least 5-10 times with my company and they have been very reliable.

Otherwise the suggested solutions in the prior threads work great as well if the value is minor.

Back