How to buy prescription medications?

I buy anti-depressants here, lexapro and wellbutran. No problem, a bit expensive, but no problem. The meds are safe here. These companies are the same manufacturers from the US. This country is too sophisiticated to have all these pharmacies selling sugar pills to people.

I know a GP in Vicente López who is very kind and can help you.
She is also nutricionist & master in diabetology. She doesn't speak well english but if your spanish is good enough she will help you at all. Dr. Maria Linari 15-5006 8219

Hi, I have no trouble at all simply walking into any drugstore and buying prescription meds over the counter at the pharmacy in the back (birth control pills, Tramadol, Ambien, almost anything). The best part is that they cost about next to nothing compared with US prices. E.g. birth control pills cost US$150 for 3 mths in the states and here they cost me about US$21 for the same amount.

Hello SimNYC,
This is the first time I hear that Ambien is sold without a prescription here. It's really odd, and, IMHO, a very dangerous practice.
Note for fellow locals and British subjects: Ambien is known as "Somit" in Argentina and "Stillnoct" in the UK. The drug is called Zolpidem, which is a very strong benzodiazepine, capable of knocking the patient out in less than half an hour.

It might have been just the one pharmacy that I tried for Ambien but it was no problem for them. Anyway, I agree that you should definitely consult a doctor before taking it and never take it with any other meds. I find that it works really well for me, esp. for long plane flights when I want to sleep (sometimes I just take half a pill). My doctor told me that it is not addictive, but it is still a narcotic so definitely proceed with caution. The nice thing about it is that you don't experience the usual "sleeping pill hangover" that other drugs can give you. I always feel really rested and not at all groggy the next day. Again, consult your physician first.

Back