How to get a DNI certified by an Escribano Publico from the Colegio de Escribanos while in the U.S.?

DaxioAxio

Registered
I am applying for permanent residency for me and my child through my spouse, who is an Argentina citizen. I am working through the Consulado in Chicago (with jurisdiction over my state of residence) to apply for the family reunification visa.

One of the requirements is: "Original DNI or photocopy certified by “Escribano Publico” and certified by Colegio de Escribanos of
the Argentine citizen granting residency."

Does anyone know how to go about this when residing in the U.S.? I've looked through the website for the Colegio de Escribanos and I can't determine if any of the information there is relevant.

Is certification of a DNI something that could be done remotely through an Escribano? Anyone with experience with this? Tips on how to find one who does this kind of work?

Thanks for any insight.

I am applying for permanent residency for me and my child through my spouse, who is an Argentina citizen. I am working through the Consulado in Chicago (with jurisdiction over my state of residence) to apply for the family reunification visa.

One of the requirements is: "Original DNI or photocopy certified by “Escribano Publico” and certified by Colegio de Escribanos of
the Argentine citizen granting residency."

Does anyone know how to go about this when residing in the U.S.? I've looked through the website for the Colegio de Escribanos and I can't determine if any of the information there is relevant.

Is certification of a DNI something that could be done remotely through an Escribano? Anyone with experience with this? Tips on how to find one who does this kind of work?

Thanks for any insight.
My understanding is your spouse is in the US with you. If this is correct, just bring his/her original DNI, you shouldn't need anything else. At least, that was my case when I applied through a Consulate. The Escribano route is only if you don't have the original DNI and it needs to be done in Argentina.

My understanding is your spouse is in the US with you. If this is correct, just bring his/her original DNI, you shouldn't need anything else. At least, that was my case when I applied through a Consulate. The Escribano route is only if you don't have the original DNI and it needs to be done in Argentina.
That's correct. Forgot that detail. My spouse is in the U.S. too with us currently. Good to know that this might be the case, and makes sense since the DNI is an official certification of citizenship/residency already. It seems strange to need a lawyer to certify it. I am awaiting a call/email back from the Consulate to confirm. I appreciate knowing others' experience in the meantime.

You cannot do it remotely, however you could send over the dni through dhl or similar to a relative or friend and get them to legalise it at instituto olivares for example and send everything back to you via dhl. http://www.institutoolivares.com.ar/

You cannot do it remotely, however you could send over the dni through dhl or similar to a relative or friend and get them to legalise it at instituto olivares for example and send everything back to you via dhl. http://www.institutoolivares.com.ar/
Right! However, it shouldn't be necessary. The consulates clearly states Original DNI or certified photocopy. As simple as that.

Follow up: Thanks for replies. This is helpful -- and to help me see a straightforward distinction I didn't notice (due to either late-night brain fog or expectations about unnecessary bureaucracy):

You need either the original DNI_or_ a copy that is certified. I had read it as certified either way. (face palm emoji).

Still, your responses are useful since we may need to get a certified photocopy of a replacement DNI now waiting for us in Argentina for an original that since turned up here in the U.S. Thanks all.

Right! However, it shouldn't be necessary. The consulates clearly states Original DNI or certified photocopy. As simple as that.
He doesn t have a certified copy, maybe ask if they provide escribano ( notary ) services at the Arg consulate. If tgey don't what I suggested might be the only way.

Back