How to Sell Dollars at Informal Exchange Rate

westofwall

Registered
Hey, I know there's been a lot of discussion on these boards about the informal vs. formal dollar/peso exchange rate (which appears to be growing larger every day).

My question is: can anyone recommend a TRUSTED place to sell my dollars to get the informal rate (which may now be as much as 5-1 or higher).

Note: I'm NOT talking about dealing with the moneychangers on Florida St. I want to deal with someone honest/trustworthy/safe.

I know that some people have mentioned going to local hotels, but I'm not sure which ones they are talking about or which people at those hotels to talk with.

If anyone has any referrals or ideas, I'd appreciate it-thanks!

It looks like the rate has dropped substantially today and there are many more dollars on the market. The current rate is 4.60 to 4.70

If I were you I would simply talk to locals that you know and ask if they are interested in buying dollars off you. My girlfriend's mom happened to ask me the other day if I have any dollars to sell and she offered the informal rate.

my husband does it at the currancy exchange place. He just requests no receipt and they do it.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Just to be clear: I'm selling dollars and want to get the informal rate, NOT the bank quoted rate.

As I understood it, all the 'regular' exchange houses will only give you the official 'buy' rate (since they are buying your dollars), which today is around 4.25.

I understand that I'll be getting the 'buy' rate in the blue market at well. But it's currently significantly higher--I've heard anywhere from $4.65-$5.00. I'm trying to find a place that will give me that rate.

It sounds like that may be possible 'off the record' at some exchange houses. I'll give it a shot and let everyone know what I find out...

hi i`m local and interested in buying only 200 or 300 dollars or so in buenos aires. anyone interested please pm me. i was thinking about 4.40 to 1. thanks

mulderfox said:
hi i`m local and interested in buying only 200 or 300 dollars or so in buenos aires. anyone interested please pm me. i was thinking about 4.40 to 1. thanks

Anyone who takes him/her up on the offer, I'd advise caution. Note the post count and registration date.

can i at least have the benefit of the doubt?. i joined because i found this on google, i`ve been having trouble buying lately since i work in "negro". we can always meet at a public place for safety of both participants.

Back