How to talk to Argentines

laureltp

Registered
I have been here a little over a year but there's something that I can't figure out about the Argentines. I feel sometimes like they are a bit too sensitive about their country. I feel sometimes like if I say something good about their country they think I am blind or ignorant to their problems. If I say something bad then they give me a funny look and as me why I would ever want to live here if it's so bad. I just can't win sometimes.

I don't live off of US dollars and I am not here to be a tourist. I am here to genuinely experience and enjoy the city. But if I tell then that they think I am crazy because no sane person would come from the US to live in a third world country, right? And yes, I have considered the possibility I am a bit crazy and maybe they are right. :)

I am not talking about all Argentines, I have meet many very open minded, interesting, and good hearted Argentines who also love their country and their city and don't think I am crazy for being here. I am not about to generalize an entire population like that. I am just talking about the few that give me a bit of a hard time.

I have a friend who suggested the sandwich theory. If I want to say like the sidewalks need to be fixed I start with something like "there's so much wonderful architecture here, although the sidewalks need to be fixed, i really enjoy talking a walk because there's always something beautiful to see." Sounds like a good theory to me, I am going to start giving it a try.

Anyone else feel this way sometimes or is it just me? How do you get around not insulting Argentines but at the same time not making them think you are crazy?

I am also curious to know if anyone has ever experienced any type of problems because they are from the US. I don't mean getting ripped off by a cab driver or being a target of pick pocketing. I see by the US embassy as you walk up past the zoo somebody spray painted "fuera yanquis de america latina". I just wonder if anyone has been a direct target of this anti american sediment. I think in general the Argentines like Americans, but there's always a few rebels out there.

You're concerned being American? Try being British! Depending on the situation, I sometimes deny my own heritage and claim I'm Irish when asked for my nationality!

Although having said that, I've never been subject to any open hostility here, even when I've owned up to being British. Quite the opposite in fact - there's often been an exaggerated welcoming attitude like 'ooh, the Brits are my favourites!'

This is when in a conversational, social gathering though. And if I then proceed to criticize something about Argentina I find that my opinion is generally very much respected. Though I guess I don't criticize without good reason and always try and put forward a good case or a well balanced argument.

When out walking in the streets or on public transport, it's different though - just the fact that I'm obviously recognizable as a foreigner makes me feel very vulnerable. Though I guess having been mugged a couple of times hasn't helped.

I guess the difference comes down to education - if I'm in conversation and/or in a social gathering where I have the opportunity to vocalise any criticisms, I'm probably with well educated people, whereas out and about I'm surrounded by all and sundry, including the low-lifes who only see me as a (supposedly) rich target.

laureltp said:
I have been here a little over a year but there's something that I can't figure out about the Argentines. I feel sometimes like they are a bit too sensitive about their country. I feel sometimes like if I say something good about their country they think I am blind or ignorant to their problems. If I say something bad then they give me a funny look and as me why I would ever want to live here if it's so bad. I just can't win sometimes.

I don't live off of US dollars and I am not here to be a tourist. I am here to genuinely experience and enjoy the city. But if I tell then that they think I am crazy because no sane person would come from the US to live in a third world country, right? And yes, I have considered the possibility I am a bit crazy and maybe they are right. :)

Laureltp: You will always find dumb ppl wherever you go. Some of them might be more sensitive than others but either you appeal to a smarter interlocutor or just leave some "problematic" subjects aside.
I'm pretty sure that when you mentioned some of the examples you've given above, the other person was thinking "but what does she knows.. shes not from around!...". That only proves that there are more narrow minded ppl that one would like to and that the receptor of your comment is unable to respect different point of views. Instead of "attacking" that point of view, he/she should be interested in learning why do you say what you are saying.

Oh and I do understand when they ask if you are crazy :p jajaja

laureltp said:
I am also curious to know if anyone has ever experienced any type of problems because they are from the US. I don't mean getting ripped off by a cab driver or being a target of pick pocketing. I see by the US embassy as you walk up past the zoo somebody spray painted "fuera yanquis de america latina". I just wonder if anyone has been a direct target of this anti american sediment. I think in general the Argentines like Americans, but there's always a few rebels out there.

I know quite some ppl that would love to see most of the Chinese or Jewish leave Argentina asap, but none when it comes to Americans.
I'm pretty sure that whomever wrote that was actually aiming big corporations or the US government itself.

Anyway, gotta run now. I'll check this thread later again.

Cheers,
Pablo

Oh I forgot - there's the third place for getting abused......here on this forum.

This is a bit of a conundrum, because you'd assume you're dealing with educated types here - they have access to a computer, they know how to use it, they speak English, they know this is a place set up for expats to help each other who are a long way from home...etc.

But unfortunately, this being a place where it's possible to hide your real identity, people are prone to let their underlying personality come to the surface and are often obnoxious and objectionable just for the sake of it. And worse, it's even true of some of the expats!

Alzinho said:
You're concerned being American? Try being British! Depending on the situation, I sometimes deny my own heritage and claim I'm Irish when asked for my nationality!

I've never had a peep. Had a few conversations with people who were genuinely curious whether it felt weird coming to a country we'd been at war with, and a few more asking about the english perspective on the malvinas. But other than a few jokey comments about being pirates, never had a peep. Expected a bit more stick to be honest, but like you said - most of the time I tell people I'm english they seem genuinely excited.

laureltp said:
I feel sometimes like they are a bit too sensitive about their country.

You might think your friend's girlfriend is ugly and annoying, and on some levels your friend may even agree with you - but woe betide you if you choose to point this out to him. Its just not your place to say.

It's been my experience that on a personal level people here, like people everywhere, are interested in an open to foreigners as long as we're friendly. That said, it's no secret that Argentines can be a bit egocentric, any local will tell you that, which makes them take all sorts of things in a funny way sometimes. I've had it said to me once, you must be crazy, and never had anyone really come back at me for a complaint. When I complain I always get a chorus of locals singing, "preach it sister!" and then we have a good old rant together and laugh and move on...

For sure, try the sandwich trick. I don't know why it's happening to you, because I can be pretty brutally honest and the only people who bitch at me about it are the people on this forum, my Argie friends and acquaintances are super open about hearing another perspective, curious, engaging....

Alzinho said:

Although having said that, I've never been subject to any open hostility here, even when I've owned up to being British. Quite the opposite in fact - there's often been an exaggerated welcoming attitude like 'ooh, the Brits are my favourites!'

This is when in a conversational, social gathering though. And if I then proceed to criticize something about Argentina I find that my opinion is generally very much respected. Though I guess I don't criticize without good reason and always try and put forward a good case or a well balanced argument.

When out walking in the streets or on public transport, it's different though - just the fact that I'm obviously recognizable as a foreigner makes me feel very vulnerable. Though I guess having been mugged a couple of times hasn't helped.

I guess the difference comes down to education - if I'm in conversation and/or in a social gathering where I have the opportunity to vocalise any criticisms, I'm probably with well educated people, whereas out and about I'm surrounded by all and sundry, including the low-lifes who only see me as a (supposedly) rich target.

Yeh I mentioned the war once but I think I got away with it.:D

A couple of years ago we stayed oposite a cafe on Gascon and I went in almost daily one day I wore a tee that said Cymru the next day I had one on that said England, the guy in the cafe said that the Cymru was OK but I should not wear an England shirt. I do have trouble squaring that circle.

Alzinho said:

Maybe it is we Irish that should be offended at the Bristish colonial masters claiming our birth right at whim! It is reassuring to know that we, as early US immigrants and drunken, brawling peasants leeching of the US system are now the nationality of choice for Latin America.,,makes me quite proud :p

Alzinho said:
You're concerned being American? Try being British! Depending on the situation, I sometimes deny my own heritage and claim I'm Irish when asked for my nationality!.

I probably should have been less specific. I think anybody coming from the U.S., Australia, or Europe, any first world country might come across this as a bit of a problem once in a while.

I have never had any problems being American so I am not too concerned about but I am curious if it's ever been an issue to anyone here since people tend to either love or hate us. I don't really care about criticism of the US, everyone should have the right to their own opinion whether it offends me or not.

It's just that sometimes I end up in these ackward conversations. Like this one girl asked me how I felt about the prices of food in the US compared to here. I told her that I in relativity to the salaries and the prices the food here in Buenos Aires I think its more expensive. But I also told her that I think if you are smart you can get away with a pretty decent grocery bill. We look for sales, cook at home, and make fairly simple meals and our grocery bill is basically under control.

She somehow assumed I lived here on US dollars and told me for YOU it's cheap, but for US its expensive. And yes she stressed the You and the Us thing. Maybe it was my bad Spanish but I certainly didn't mean to offend her by talking about grocery bills. This rarely happens but when it does I don't know what to say to make it better. I guess I just have to learn how to let it go and not let it bother me.

laureltp said:
It's just that sometimes I end up in these ackward conversations. Like this one girl asked me how I felt about the prices of food in the US compared to here. I told her that I in relativity to the salaries and the prices the food here in Buenos Aires I think its more expensive. But I also told her that I think if you are smart you can get away with a pretty decent grocery bill. We look for sales, cook at home, and make fairly simple meals and our grocery bill is basically under control.

She somehow assumed I lived here on US dollars and told me for YOU it's cheap, but for US its expensive. And yes she stressed the You and the Us thing. Maybe it was my bad Spanish but I certainly didn't mean to offend her by talking about grocery bills. This rarely happens but when it does I don't know what to say to make it better. I guess I just have to learn how to let it go and not let it bother me.

I think the problem here wasn´t that you are American/foreign/first worlder/what have you, but rather what you said. It pretty much goes against any local resident´s ways to say that the prices are ´not so bad´ in these last years. Basically because, although you are correct, that it IS possible to eat decently and without spending TOO much if you are QUITE careful, but this becomes harder and harder to do every day. Or at least that is the general feeling people tend to have.

If the lady had asked me the same question, my reply would have been ´In the US everything is so ****ing cheap, it´s crazy, and here it´s just incredibly hard with inflation, you can buy less and less every month, cause your salary just doesn´t go up like inflation, and blah blah blah....and generally I find very warm receptions from Argentines on these points. :D They don´t see it as me criticizing Argentina, but rather empathizing because I know what it feels like and even though I´m an ¨other¨, I can relate to these very common complaints based on very real daily worries.

Honestly, if you said to me you don´t spend outrageous amounts on groceries without cutting at least 3 major food groups out of your diet, I would tend to assume you live on US dollars too....or at least have an outrageously good salary ;)

Back