How to talk to Argentines

diplomacy said:
So can I safely assume that since those countries are first world that you believe Argentina is a 3rd world country? If so I believe I've found your problem.

It's natural to have your own opinions and assumptions but it is a bad practice to think that whatever is in the forefront of your mind must be in someone else's and therefore you should introduce into a conversation.

I know someone who is just like that and is forever sticking his foot in his mouth. That person is my father and I could see him coming down here and doing the same thing you're doing.

May I suggest you stick to the weather.

I don't think that it is a matter of opinion or not. Argentina is a developing nation. It falls into the emerging markets category. The other major emerging markets include Brazil, Russia, India, and China. This means they cannot offer the same comforts that you can find in the US and Europe but that it does have things to offer. It's not the best standard of living, but not the worst.

What do I really think of Argentina? It's a good sized nation with some good resources that just need to be properly utilized. I think there problem lies more in the misuse and corruption of politics than anything else. They do have a beautiful capital city and some really wonderful people and places and resources. I actually do like to be optimistic and think they have potential.

Can I also stress again, I am not talking about all Argentines but rather about a few isolated times where I said a few things that I shouldn't have said and got myself into a bit of trouble for saying them. I don't like talking about the weather and that is exactly why I asked everyone how do they have a good interesting conversation with Argentines without accidentally saying stupid or offensive things. My real hope is that I represent my country well and that when an Argentine meets me I am able to be a good diplomat for my country. I have a lot to learn I suppose ;). Can I use the young and inexperienced excuse?

I am not entirely certain what your comment is supposed to mean. I think Argentines are aware that they are in the category of emerging markets. So maybe my wording here is bad, maybe it is more politically correct to say "developing nation" and "developed nation" than third and first world? I am not being sarcastic I really just don't understand what you mean.

Lee said:
Well, from what I have seen being here the past 3 years Argentina would be more accurately categorized as a SLOWLY "emerging market" at best.

The "haves" here seem quite content with getting more and "have nots" just keep getting less and less. I really don't see much middle class and the divide between between the 2 groups at the extremes just seems to grow wider all the time.

I like that "slowly emerging market" :) I think they are headed in a downhill place right now, but so is just about everywhere else. I think we will have to wait and see if it is Argentina itself falling apart or just the instability of the global economy. I like the comment from this website. I think that describes Argentina, it could just as easily fall to pieces as it could get better. I am just trying to be an optimist that there's some kind of nice ending.

"Emerging markets are considered relatively risky because they carry additional political, economic and currency risks. They certainly aren't for those who value safety and security above all else. An investor in emerging markets should be willing to accept volatile returns - there is a chance for large profit at the risk of large losses. " http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/emergingmarketsindex.asp

laureltp said:
I have been here a little over a year but there's something that I can't figure out about the Argentines. I feel sometimes like they are a bit too sensitive about their country. I feel sometimes like if I say something good about their country they think I am blind or ignorant to their problems. If I say something bad then they give me a funny look and as me why I would ever want to live here if it's so bad. I just can't win sometimes.

If I say something about Argentina that folks don't like, I can usually follow-up with trash talking about my own country - the US - and it calms the situation down.

But I'm kind of over what people think about me now. I make no apologies about where I am from and would never hide that fact. I am proud of where I am from and they should be proud of their country too.

In some aspects of life here I have kind of marked my territory. For example my in-laws know to not call me "norteamericano" or "estadosuniese" and they for dang sure know not to call my 6 month old daughter gordita or gordi.

But it's a 2 way street. I try not to engage in conversations and say things to them that would obviously make a problem. Although I have been known to open my big mouth when I shouldn't. Sigh... but this is usually when I can counter with something like expressing my dislike for New York City or something else in the US that I don't care for. That usually gets me out of it.

diplomacy said:
So can I safely assume that since those countries are first world that you believe Argentina is a 3rd world country? If so I believe I've found your problem.

It's natural to have your own opinions and assumptions but it is a bad practice to think that whatever is in the forefront of your mind must be in someone else's and therefore you should introduce into a conversation.

I know someone who is just like that and is forever sticking his foot in his mouth. That person is my father and I could see him coming down here and doing the same thing you're doing.

May I suggest you stick to the weather.

I am not trying to be deliberately controvesial here, but Argentina is third world by definition.
The first world was all the countries in the NATO alliance, second world the communist block, and the third world everything else, so as a non aligned or nuetral country it is third world.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World,
Fact is though in this modern age the definition really no longer exists.

This topic has taken a turn to the status of Argentina. Most of Latin America since independence has been run by a handful of families with the majority oppressed. Its been a sad failure.

But I think the OP wanted to talk about dealing with the Argentines. The are afraid all day long, frightened and fearful and paranoid and on their guard even to the point of walking in the street because they are afraid of the sidewalk. I see many people who actually get pleasure from being cruel. I see incredible lack of honesty to the point of being amoral about it. I think many never learned the difference between right and wrong. To them its the same.

I see the sad unhappy faces. I see fury just below the surface. I see a lack of manners. I find them very unfriendly and cold, but mostly unhappy and sad.

Alzinho said:
Oh I forgot - there's the third place for getting abused......here on this forum.
.....people are prone to let their underlying personality come to the surface and are often obnoxious and objectionable just for the sake of it. And worse, it's even true of some of the expats!
blackburn said:
....how do you talk to argentines and the slagging of yanks....If you are frightened of the locals don't speak to them...if you are frightened of declaring your nationality then fuck off back to where you come from....I often wear my shirt that has three lions and ENGLAND...motiff.....I also wear my Newells Old Boys futbol shirt which is much more provocative than the England shirt.....get a grip.....

There you go....point proven.

tangobob said:
I am not trying to be deliberately controvesial here, but Argentina is third world by definition.
The first world was all the countries in the NATO alliance, second world the communist block, and the third world everything else, so as a non aligned or nuetral country it is third world.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World,
Fact is though in this modern age the definition really no longer exists.

Of course Argentina is a third world country, no matter what the definition is. That's not an expression I would use here in public, but it has been said to me by Argentinians dozens of times. And they are not referring to the wikipedia definition either.

Ha! I now know how to talk to Portenos. No matter how clearly I speeak,or research what I am saying it is not understood by my friends, they simply assume I cannot speak spanish and try to work out what I am saying by how many clouds are passing.
Now I text them on my phone and, hey ho, everything is clear.
OK I am being a bit unkind, they don't get my accent, that is clear, but at least by texting we can make arrangements without resorting to "my friend speaks english"

Back