Hundred dollar bills - small-face

on the brink

Registered
Today my local cueva informed me that they no longer take "small-face" hundred dollar bills. They only take the newer ones, those with a blue stripe running top to bottom. Anyone else had this problem?

Today my local cueva informed me that they no longer take "small-face" hundred dollar bills. They only take the newer ones, those with a blue stripe running top to bottom. Anyone else had this problem?
Mine takes them but discounts each one 2%.

yes some take them some don't or give you less for them. how on earth did you even get those old banknotes anyway haha? My bank in the US would never give me those old ones. I am pretty sure the US Treasury has instructed banks to surrender all old series notes to them and those are eventually destroyed. I sold a macbook a few years back here in BA and was paid with those old notes (these must have been saved under the mattress for a decade), which I eventually deposited to my bank back in the US. The cashier passed over a "magic marker" to validate authenticity....

If you have an ARG USD bank account you can try to deposit them and take out new ones...it works sometimes. Otherwise as long as you don't have many of those just deposit them back to yr US account when home. Or agree to a worse exchange rate at the cueva...

Local banks are supposed to take older and newer dollar bills for deposit into your account, as long as they are in good shape. Cuevas take them but started paying a little less for those very old dollar bills.

yes some take them some don't or give you less for them. how on earth did you even get those old banknotes anyway haha?

"Haha" indeed...... I got them from an Argentine bank. Will have to take them to an USA bank, where just three corners of a bill can be swapped for a brand new bill.

Just lost the perfect excuse for a USA vacation, to exchange my "cara chica" bills. They can be deposited in any Argentine bank's dollar account - face value.

Same in Uruguay. The only problem is with local cuevas and arbolitos, eager to make a killing.

Last edited:
I found Costa Rica Exchange in Soho shortly after I arrived in Dec. I was there yesterday and exchanged 2 more for 7100/14,200. Some of mine are not even in good shape and the man is always giving good rates with a smile. It's a Western Union office. Yes, evidently have had them stashed for a while!

Back