I Must Be Doing Something Wrong...

Not sure what sort of job you are looking for, but at least from my experience these are the main sites to look a job in argentina:

- Computrabajo.com.ar
A lot of offers are from IT, but you are going to find everything in that site. There are even offers to work as a hosts/promotora, the girls that dress pretty and work showing of a company in some event. Is not just IT. Just make sure you are looking the dates, some offers are really old.

- Zonajobs.com.ar
I know is a pain in the ass to use that site, copy/paste your resume here, but there are a lot of offers in this site. It's really used in Argentina.

- Bumeran.com.ar
Smaller than these other twos, but there has been a lot of movement around this site to promote it (ads in the street, tv, internet).

- Linkedin Search and their advanced search, Simplyhired.com.ar.
I got my current job in an ad posted in linkedin. The offer wasn't in any other place, which was rare. Linkedin also has a really good advance search called simplyhired, you are going to find other stuffs there. I also receive every few weeks an email due to this site offering a position. Once you have some headhunters in your profile, the job will eventually come for you when you don't need it.

- Direct resume to companies.
Depending on what sort of job you like, you can send your resume to the companies through their site. Almost all of them have an special section saying "do you want to work for us?", giving you an email address or a way to upload your resume. Some of them ask you to complete a form, but hey, you are looking for a job.

That's my advice, good luck :)

Yop, there's oDesk, eLance and such but the jobs are not too well paid (at least for translation jobs).

You could try your luck with online translation agencies if your spelling is portuguese is close to perfect, it's quite an active language nowadays. And that way you can get paid in USD (some translation agencies even send you a Mastercard to cash your earnings).

People find a job in this country taling the search as a full time job and going in person to the requests published in Clarin newspaper. After 1 week of defeat you are going to be sharp about what do you want to hear, how much toy offer and how far you can negociate.

The best way you can get a job in Argentina is not by your qualifications, but by who you know. Do you know someone in a management position somewhere? Who do you know that works? It's less about your qualifications, and more about your connections.

Bumeran.com is also good. Yes it's crazy that for jobs they can state anything they want (usually for secretaries its something along the lines of under 25, female, with good personality (read: Big Tits).

Do you have a DNI? If not, a lot of places will discard you immediately. Also, is your CV formatted as to the same style used here? You may need to reformat, CVs vary from place to place. Here is quite different than USA / Canada.

And you can't really just have one CV, you need to have a few tailored to different types of positions that you are applying for, and a letter for each position (assuming these are more professional types of jobs you are applying for). It's often a question of networking rather than applying to jobs online, people here tend to find positions through the people they know.

syngirl (or any other member with more experience on the Argentine job market), do you know of any online resources about CV formatting in Argentina? I want to have something like an all-purpose CV that I can tailor further for the positions I apply to before arriving to BsAs, but I couldn't find anything very helpful online so far.
Thanks!

I agree with Rich One..... start networking big time... it is about who you know here ... start tell anyone you know you are looking for work.... friends, friends of friends people in your building....anyone.... good luck

Absolutely one of the best jobs I had was thru Networking at the Homeowners Assoc meeting my own building in LA....!! Weddings, wakes , etc are a prime networking oppty. The Casa do Brasil and Brasil related social events!! All receptive tourist services hire Portuguese speaking people.

Finding a job is a FULL time job don't kid yourself. I was a Director probono of 40 Plus Inc. in LA , where people over 40 have a place and address to sit all day to find jobs. For a minimum fee they are given contacts, use of databases, massive mailing campaigns, psychological counseling, preparation of CV, and video taped simulated job interviews .

Thank you all of you. As always, a lot of great advice. Realistic, friendly, very helpful. :)

Networking, job sites, Clarin, tailored resumes, portray my skills in a more suitable way, put in more time and effort.

I'll start right away...

I agree with inferno on the sites and also the posters that suggested networking. I definitely wouldn't be disheartened after 6 applications though, especially if the field you work in is competitive. I had a job interview a few years ago (for a low-mid level position at an NGO with a pretty sucky salary) and they had shortlisted 6 people for interview from over 200 candidates! Generally, if a company isn't interested in pursuing your application, they won't even reply to say "thanks, but no thanks". It sucks but given the amount of resumes they receive, its the only realistic way to deal with so many potential candidates.
I've gone through candidate resumes several times to shortlist people for the organisation I work for and I have to say one of the things I don't like are candidates that don't send a decent (at least 3 to 4 paragraph) covering letter introducing themselves and explaining why they're suitable for the post (something that happens a lot here). Given the amount of applications we get, I dismiss them automatically for that without bothering to look over their CVs as, for me, it really shows a lack of effort. So I'd make sure you have a good looking (and fairly brief) CV and a great covering letter that has been adapted to match the specific job you're applying for.

One word of advice for CV preparation if responding to a paper ad. highlight the key words in the Ad requirements, incorporate those key words all thru the CV as your strong points!!!

Back