I Need Help With A Rental Problem, Please!

I really appreciate all the help and advice, but, maybe I should clarify the situation about the expensas. We agreed that the expensas would be paid as a promedio of 500 pesos per month. If its more or less, doesn´t matter, we capped it at 500 per month.

The first few months they were less and I was OK with that because I made the deal. Now these past few months they have been more, and it is not to her benefit any longer and she wants to raise the amount. The reason the expensas have been more is because the administration keeps hiring people who make repairs that are not done properly and they keeping paying for the same repair over and over again.

For example, the termotanqes have not worked right for 4 months, and we have been without hot water. So, after paying for 4 repairs, the administration decides to replace one, while continuing fruitless and frivolous on the second, which now has to be replaced as well. Same situation with the elevator. It was repaired 7 times before they solved the problem and the administration paid for each repair until it was done right. Why continue to pay someone if they can´t or didn´t get it right on the first, or at least the first 3 tries?

The point is that the administration throws good money out after bad, and rather than asking me for 300 pesos more per month, she should go to the Admininstration and ask WTF? Why are you throwing out MY money?
It is common to have a cap for the expense including bills if it's short term rental.
This is really her problem, apparently she did not see this coming (the unexpected hike), it's very common to have repairs done
several times in AR, all repair people are idiots. It's really not your problem of why the expense could higher, there could be other
reasons too, like the portero is ill in hospital.
You need to sit down and talk to her firmly and nicely. She just needs to eat the extra expense, but you have the option to
give her a small break to help her out, rewrite the contract such that this BS will never happen again. After all, this is a good
place you like and plan to stay for a while.
You also let her know your situation too, you could not afford to bail her out every time for unexpected expense, this is a business that both
sides take some risk. Let her know that you also have your unexpect expense. Make the whole thing thoroughly communicated so she will not bother you again.
I used to be a landlord for a short term rental, at one time the expense shot up and utilities were much higher, of course I did
not say anything, but my tenant gave me U$50 more each month to offset the difference, that was a great relation.

There is no such thing as a 1 year contract. If it is written with a 1 year term, you can automatically stay for 2 years for the original rental amount stipulated in the contract. The landlord has no way to get you out of a residential property during the lease's term if you have signed anything that is not legally binding, see "Ley de Alquileres" 23.091. If you need, I can send you to a great lawyer who will draft a "carta documento" for you for a small fee and that will shut the landlord right up. You won this time, at least for a year.

There are 2 kind of expensas. Simple expenditures has to be paid by you (comunes or a) while repairs or improvements has to be paid by the owner (extraordinarias o B).

Contracts cannot be rise during the 2 years once they are signed.

Back