I think I need advice

Spfly731

Registered
I am here because my 90 year old father is sick. When I arrived a couple of weeks ago, he was in the hospital and his "pareja" had "disappeared", she had taken his keys where they lived in Caballito and I have not been able to locate her. My father is now with me at an apt that I rented with 24 hour nursing service "internacion domiciliaria" and I am trying to recover his belongings. I have emailed, called, contacted some of their mutual friends and no one has heard from her with the exception of their family doctor - which doesn't really help me - he said if and when she showed up (to get more prescriptions) he would try to talk to her. All of my dad's things are in the apt they shared for the last 10 years, US Passport, DNI, computer, clothes, check book, debit card, credit cards etc.... all of his belonging. Since I have been here I have been caring for my father and doing "tramites", mostly getting bills paid and now I need to recover his things. Any suggestions? Should I go to the police? Do I need an attorney? Thanks

I am here because my 90 year old father is sick. When I arrived a couple of weeks ago, he was in the hospital and his "pareja" had "disappeared", she had taken his keys where they lived in Caballito and I have not been able to locate her. My father is now with me at an apt that I rented with 24 hour nursing service "internacion domiciliaria" and I am trying to recover his belongings. I have emailed, called, contacted some of their mutual friends and no one has heard from her with the exception of their family doctor - which doesn't really help me - he said if and when she showed up (to get more prescriptions) he would try to talk to her. All of my dad's things are in the apt they shared for the last 10 years, US Passport, DNI, computer, clothes, check book, debit card, credit cards etc.... all of his belonging. Since I have been here I have been caring for my father and doing "tramites", mostly getting bills paid and now I need to recover his things. Any suggestions? Should I go to the police? Do I need an attorney? Thanks

Does he own the apartment or is renting? How long was he living there for? Did you go over there and tried to talk to the building's super? He might have a set of keys. If he doesn't, I would call a locksmith and ask him to open the door and change the lock, don't explain much further, but if your dad lives there he as a right to enter.

Does he own the apartment or is renting? How long was he living there for? Did you go over there and tried to talk to the building's super? He might have a set of keys. If he doesn't, I would call a locksmith and ask him to open the door and change the lock, don't explain much further, but if your dad lives there he as a right to enter.
His partner owns the apt, he lived there for over 5 years (maybe 8+). There is no portero in the building, there are very few apts in the building. I do not want to go with a locksmith, I am scared that she might be inside and call the police and have me arrested and my father is confined to his bed so he won't be able to accompany me.

It seems like you have two immediate needs. First to care for your father. Second to secure his bank accounts. If you cannot access the apartment, maybe, if you know the accounts, you can get the banks to freeze them.
You don't want to abandon your fathers belongings but is it urgent for you to recover the passport, computer and other items? If not you could work on that at a more leisurely pace.
I've never had experience with local police (fortunately) but it seems that, when you have time, a visit to the local police station might be helpful. They have probably seen this situation before (a partner being locked out).
Does your father have an attorney?
Would the American Embassy be able to provide any guidance?
Good luck.

Last edited:
You should contact the US Embassy ASAP to report a possible lost or stolen passport. I’m sure theyl'll be happy to hear from you. They might be able to help you with the other issue regarding your father. Also contact your father's bank account. Tell them to freeze all accounts. Ditto with the all the credit cards.

In order to freeze accounts or credit card one would need a Power of Attorney? doubt that a phone call to a USA bank can do it.? If the Pareja is living there you should go and contact her in person. Post a notice on her door to contact you ASAP. Presume you have her name and DNI. The link is pretty clear on the rights of concubines. Possibly you can settle with her and retrieve your dad's belongings without a legal suit.
Before legal or Police intervention.

Thank you all for your replies. I was able to access my father's bank account and change all codes, pin numbers and I was able to stop payments on all existing checks (did this via internet, yay for technology). She is an Austrian citizen, I dont have her DNI, I do have her Austrian passport number. I don't really know this woman, I have met her 5 or 6 times, I dont want to go to her apartment and have her call the police on me - last thing I need is to be arrested in Argentina. I don't know what credit cards my dad has, so I havent been able to take care of that "little" problem. Dad's 90 years old and he doesn't remember. When you say "post a notice", would that be a "carta documento" (do they still do that here)? I do have an attorney, he doesn't speak english, I do speak Spanish but...... sometimes I just don't understand. I am trying to locate her son in Austria to try to get his assistance. Again, thank you all for your help and suggestions.

If I were you, 1) I would get a GENERAL power of attorney to represent your father in any ways you may need; 2) I would try talking to next door neighbors and find out whether that woman has been seen lately and also try to ruin her reputation, why not...? What she did was very mean. I bet she is inside the apartment and doesn't want to open the door.
3) Also try to get legal advice and then see if it's necessary to send her a "carta documento" notifying her that she is holding things that don't belong to her and that she must return them promptly.

It sounds like you're making progress. If you have online access to dad's bank accounts look for credit card payments then call the bank and explain that he is disabled and the accounts need to be frozen to prevent possible fraud.
I'd consider taking the lawyer or a policeman with you, see if she'll open the door for them. And to bear witness that your actions were not aggressive. Maybe you could 'motivate' a cop to accompany you in his off hours.
These are just ideas.
Wish you the best in your difficult situation.

Back