I was called a racist!

New York is just a different game altogether from here, you've got to watch your toes about race the way you have to watch your toes down here if you're American (or an American abroad, for that matter.) The same way you can't say, "Well, in the US!..." because someone will basically use it as an excuse to shut you down, or talk about American Imperialism or Operation Condor or something. In NY someone is guaranteed to start talking about "white privilege".

I am a white male heterosexual. In the span of the past 5 years I have been called both racist and sexist. I dream of the day that I am called a homophobe to complete the trifecta.

Seriously, there are too many people in New York and around the world who believe themselves to be models of enlightenment, but who are in reality far more biased as those they are quick to judge.

Just as those who scream the loudest about homosexuals might actually be covering for their own latent homosexuality, I suspect those who label others as racist are often masking their own prejudice.

scotttswan said:
your friend is an idiot but political correctness is a very good thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IYx4Bc6_eE

I could not disagree more.

We no longer live in the late 70's when the speaker was a lad. Back then, wagging a finger at those who thoughtlessly used the "n-word" advanced the cause of equality and human rights. These days the pendulum has swung to the other extreme. No one uses the N-word much any more. Yet zealots, I don't know what else to call them, continue to run around sniffing out supposed racists based on their assumption that racists are simply less overt these days, and continue to espouse their beliefs using "code." Disagree with Obama's new Health Care Law or his handling of the deficit? Racist. What's that you say, you support Herman Cain? Doesn't make you any less racist. Cain sold out long ago. He isn't really black. And so on.

We should reserve the labeling and name calling for those instances that clearly and unequivocally demand confrontation. As it is, the term racism and other isms are tossed around so casually they have lost any real meaning or persuasive moral value.

Just my opinion.

Odd friends you keep David.

I think your partner might benefit from experiencing things first-hand, however it is better to share lessons from mistakes than allow them to happen again.

As for your 'friend' from Chicago...has he ever went beyond the borders of the US?

First-hand understanding at his end might allow for less narrow assumptions from him.

Back