ID needed for non food purchases?

SecretShopper

Registered
So today was the first time I went to buy something other than food or drinks. I was surprised at the requirement to show ID for purchases, even with cash. I myself am a very privacy oriented person and don't really like the idea of having records of every purchase I've ever made in the country. The two stores I went into said this is how it is here (new balance and Nike).

Is this really the case here?

So today was the first time I went to buy something other than food or drinks. I was surprised at the requirement to show ID for purchases, even with cash. I myself am a very privacy oriented person and don't really like the idea of having records of every purchase I've ever made in the country. The two stores I went into said this is how it is here (new balance and Nike).

Is this really the case here?

Because I now use a credit card, it's been a long time since I was asked for ID when I paid cash for something in a store, but it always depended on the amount of the purchase. In 2010 I remember being asked for ID at Walmart for purchases over $800 pesos, but not if the total was less.

In 2010-2011 the peso was about 4 to one. Now, at 200 to one, the "threshold" for requiring ID is undoubtedly much higher, but I don't know the exact amount. Any business that is operating en blanco should ask for your ID when the law requires it, and they should give you a factura (legal receipt) for your purchase.

I paid cash for a fridge today. And a bed a couple of weeks ago. Both major outlays. They each asked for the document number. I gave my passport number rather than my DNI. They noted it down without any questions. They didn't ask to actually see it. I only ever pay cash. These are the two highest value items I have bought. For the smaller items in the past, I don't recall often having been asked for an ID number, let alone have to produce a document.

For smaller purchases which do not require providing your ID, the business should give you a "ticket comun," but don't expect this to happen when you buy a bottle of water at a kiosko.

PS: Privacy in Argentina is possible to greater and lesser degrees, depending on where you live.

My life is far more private where I live now than when I lived in Recoleta or Nuñez. No one ever follows me home here after I've been shopping, but the government knows how much money I bring into the country and, for the most part, how I spend it.

Fortuantely, my neighbors don't.

Last edited:
Big brand shops like Newbalance or Nike need to issue a factura for amounts exceeding a certain limit to comply with AFIP regulations - this means their system requires a document number to process the transaction (DNI/ CUIL/ CUIT etc.) as when they reconcile takings against their stock, hiding cash under the till just wont work.

I think this is also to do with anti-money laundering and evasion rules of AFIP to catch out big cash spenders whose declarations don’t add up to their expenditure if and when investigated.

Took 8 months to get my first dni. In the meantime I always gave my us drivers license number. No one ever said anything

Took 8 months to get my first dni. In the meantime I always gave my us drivers license number. No one ever said anything
Exactly! just make up a number untraceable , if you refuse, you'll be suspected of something like caring about your privacy(according to the culture here, if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't need privacy). and when they ask your name, tell them you are ...... Roberto franklin.... second cousin of Benjamin

Exactly! just make up a number untraceable , if you refuse, you'll be suspected of something like caring about your privacy(according to the culture here, if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't need privacy). and when they ask your name, tell them you are ...... Roberto franklin.... second cousin of Benjamin

I prefer Art Vandelay, well known importer/exporter.

Back