If You Could Do It Over Again...advice/info For A New Family

You need to give us more details. Presumably your husband has been offered a high paying job. The company should be providing relocation services. The relocation service company can give you a lot of information as well as this website.

[background=rgb(252,252,252)]

From someone actually working here I can tell you that this is extremely unlikely to happen. No company in Argentina is going to part with dollars right now. Generally speaking, apart from some very specific exlusions to the rule, paid in pesos is the rule. It's actually law to a certain extent.

I don't have any direct experience, my comment was based on what the OP of this other thread reported. I suppose these C-level expats are hired by US companies and sent here, not hired directly by the Argie branch. Anyway it is not my job to find a way to make C-levels happy with their salary and pull the ropes to maximize their return.

I don't have any direct experience, my comment was based on what the OP of this other thread reported. I suppose these C-level expats are hired by US companies and sent here, not hired directly by the Argie branch. Anyway it is not my job to find a way to make C-levels happy with their salary and pull the ropes to maximize their return.

C levels?

Just trying to give someone good advice, based on experience.

I was hired locally.

It would be kind of weird if it was your job to make someone happy with their income?

C levels?

Just trying to give someone good advice, based on experience.

I was hired locally.

It would be kind of weird if it was your job to make someone happy with their income?

C-levels as in CEO, CFO, COO.
I think HR can't really convince someone to move to BsAs based solely on the thrill of the South American experience.

Probably would go for a country in Tigre in your position, pool & bbq with real security benefits.

I always say the same thing but for your own good start really really intensively learning the language. Both of you. Not sure I'd worry immensely about bringing stuff over but it will be advantageous for your mental wellbeing if you get less attached to "stuff!" I dont mean to sound trite, but genuinely electrical goods are more expensive and less well made here, so once you accept it as a fact of life you'll spend less time in occupying yourself with the stress of comparing products available in Aus to here.

Employment wise you'd do well to understand how pay increases work, tied to inflation or company performance....because if inflation is 40% and your max bonus is 20 %, you just got poorer for working very hard!

Bring dollars. US ones. Use them as your emergency backstop. Physically bring them.

Learn spanish, locally. So important I say it twice. Once you do you can open yourself up to the cultural stuff on offer, courses etc. A an expat you will have to work harder for your social life, it may be very rewarding but it wont land in your lap.

Maybe repeating myself, but do not spend any time comparing lifestyles, products, weather, food, sport etc with Australia because until you can immerse yourself in life here, which takes time and serious effort, it'll frustrate you. Successfull expats need an almost impossible zen like ability to transcend frustrations.

Nothing is ever as bad as the people in this forum say it is.

Nothing is ever as good as people in this forum say it is. Don't let us define your perception because it becomes reality very quickly.

Welcome, suerte!

Hola and thanks for your advice...i especially value the last 2 points!
It would be easy to get quite put off given all the bad experiences that Ive read but we are open to enjoying a new way of live...without our current material possessions :)

You need to give us more details. Presumably your husband has been offered a high paying job. The company should be providing relocation services. The relocation service company can give you a lot of information as well as this website.

Hi there
Yes we are expecting a formal offer from a company soon and expect that relocation services will be included. I suppose Im just doing as much research as possible in case we are suddenly 'All Systems Go!

To give you answers, I think we need to know WHY you are moving to Argentina and approximately how much monthly income you will have. Will the company pay for housing? Education of children when they are of school age -- assuming you are still in Argentina at that time (how long will you be in Argentina?).
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
If we do move it will be for my husbands work and, although I don't have the proposed numbers in front of me, I believe the USD amount equates to approx. 60,000 at the current rate (well the rate at the very moment I write this).
I believe the company will pay for housing and schooling for the kids (who will be 2 and 4 when we arrive) as well as health insurance.
And assuming all goes well and we love the life we lead then the stay could be up to 5 years.

We are two 30-something with no children and we came here deliberately and likely forever, so our situation is very different from yours.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]1. Where would you live? [/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]San Isidro (partido de -) is fairly big, and there are good areas and bad areas. There are a tons of pretty houses in Acassuso-La Lucila, old and with pool. I like a lot the area around Punta Chica, which makes its little port easily accessible by walk. Rent for a single house should be USD 1000 upward. I haven't seen many people living in their garden, to be honest, though I see many pools and we have good weather 350 days/year. Some have private security inside their gate, other share security with the rest of the street (there is a booth at the corner). However the first kind of security should be able to intervene physically, while the shared security only watch the houses and calls the police, in case.[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I don't know Nordelta, but I hear they have sort of country communities with security (sort of American-style gated community, called barrio cerrado con vigilancia privada), so that you can actually enjoy outdoor space.[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]In any case, you will both need a car.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]2. N/A - [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]3. What would you bring to BA that you found hard to get or what cost a fortune? [/background]

To be honest, you should first consider how long you will be here and if you will have your relocation expenses paid. Moving stuff around takes at minimum 6 weeks, which is a huge time if you have small children. In my opinion, if you are going to be here for less than 2 years, you should look for a furnished place and bring your clothes as checked baggage. There are many furnished places and in different price ranges.

If you really want to move your stuff, take all the electronics goods you can (dishwasher, laundry machine, iron, hairdryer, dryer, phone, tablet, kitchen tools, etc.)
Here most of the mid-high quality stuff is not available (e.g. Bosch), and what abroad is considered "low-medium quality", here is considered "the good stuff".
Also, you can sell them before leaving Argentina for a good price, since quality electronics here is very rare.

Second, bring your sheets from home, towels, clothes, shoes, etc. Fabric quality here is very poor, and there is not much choice. You won't find Frette-quality stuff for your bed, to name names.

You shouldn't be allowed to bring food in your container, but if you use maple syrup, it is in the top places of "most missed stuff" among expats. You can put it in your checked luggage.
If you are picky on your make-up/toiletry, bring plenty from home. Also, bring Tampax, as they are not available here!

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]4. What do you wish you knew about BA before you got there?[/background]
That the nicest places are priced according European standard because they know only the rich ones can afford them, so they try to squeeze them as much as possible. Also, being able to speak Spanish over the phone is essential. Anything goes by phone, websites are most likely outdated or not checked.
Also, to enjoy outdoor safely, you will most likely have to join a club, and that's another cost European-priced.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]5. What employment issues/challenges have you experienced since you have been in BA in terms of your contracts/salary[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I don't even dare to look for a job here, a safety supervisor at the local newest nuclear plant earns 17.000 pesos GROSS/month, which equals to slightly above USD1,000. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Make sure your husband gets paid abroad for his work, or at least partially in pesos and partially in USD (or other foreign currency) and according to an amount in USD[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I.e. he should agree on the equivalent of 1000 USD/month instead of 15,000 pesos/month. [/background]

Hola and thanks for your informative response to my questions!
Lots of food for thought and points to add to my ever-growing list.
:)

I am sure everyone is different- but I cannot imagine living in the boring suburbia of gated communities, when the city of Buenos Aires is so damn fun every minute.
I would be living right in the thick of it, myself, (in point of fact, I do).
My kids are older, and were hardy travellers always, so we would thrive in a pretty urban environment, but if I had little ones, I would be looking at houses in Belgrano, not too far north.

Thanks for your advice - so hard to know! I love the idea of being involved in the BA way of life and enjoying the challenges it offers but with little ones their safety and security are paramount. Ill keep researching :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
If we do move it will be for my husbands work and, although I don't have the proposed numbers in front of me, I believe the USD amount equates to approx. 60,000 at the current rate (well the rate at the very moment I write this).
I believe the company will pay for housing and schooling for the kids (who will be 2 and 4 when we arrive) as well as health insurance.
And assuming all goes well and we love the life we lead then the stay could be up to 5 years.

60,OOO what? Dollars a month? Pesos a month?

Will the company pay the steep fees for the Lincoln American School? This is expected by all top execs sent to Argentina. By law your employee must give you health insurance.

If the package is good in dollar terms you will surely live in Zona Norte in a lovely house with a live in maid and a priviliged life style. Why the hesitation?

Back