If you have a Huawei Phone....

Google removed "Don't be evil" clause from its code of conduct and practically plays the same game as Microsoft in the PC Market. Huawei will just sponsor some custom ROM that is not USA based, and find some replacement for Google Play.

This was not Google's decision at all. They have no choice but to comply with the US government. Intel, Microsoft, Qualcomm, Nvidia, AMD, Texas Instruments, Broadcom...all have to stop dealing with Huawei just the same.
In terms of Huawei, it is not just finding a Google Play replacement. The issue is who outside of China will buy a smartphone with no access to Youtube, Google Maps, Google Search, Google Translate, Google Docs, Google Photos or Google Search?
Facebook apps and services? Also not allowed. No Instagram. No Facebook. No Whatsapp.

Huawei's smartphone market outside of mainland China is done and over with.

Last edited:

No argument that the US has acted/is acting nearly as aggressively in the cyber area as is China.

I’m not sure what your point is, though. Is it your position that the US should let Chinese companies’ behaviour slide on the grounds that it has done the same? I understand the accusation of hypocrisy, but I don’t get your point w/r/t Huawei.

If China banned their companies from using US products on national security grounds, that’s one thing. The points you raised would more than explain that. But the US is protecting its own turf - and why should it not?

=========

Finally as an aside, color me naive, but I think there is a difference in the ability and willingness of US tech companies to resist the USG’s push to turn their products into spying platforms, and that of Chinese enterprises.

Take Apple for example - years and years of their marketing is about their absolute commitment to protecting the data on its products and platforms. What happens the day it is discovered that it was actually helping the NSA install a backdoor, even tacitly? Any number of people would be running for the exits. At the very least, a differentiating factor that Apple has massively talked up, will go up in smoke. We are talking potentially tens of billions of dollars on the line.

If the CCP wants Huawei executives to spy, they will not, simply cannot say no. The Chinese government has too many levers they can pull to get any given executive in line. Too much is on the line for them personally - their jobs and perhaps their physical security and/or liberty.

Back