In need of...

Neilcampbell31

Registered
..shirts

Hello Forum-goers,

It is common knowledge that clothes here are over priced and are poor quality. However I am in need of some new shirts (I underpacked!).

Does anyone know of a good place to buy shirts? My alternative is to ship them from abroad which will be uneconomical.

Thanks a lot!!

Neil

I would just buy locally, and not worry too much about from where. Despite whatever expats are complaining about this week, Argentines do somehow manage to stay clothed.

What size and what type of shirts do you need?

The clothes here, including shirts, are not good quality for the money. They literally come apart at the seams rather quickly.

I know from experience.

The sizing is also very different.

In the US I can wear almost any shirt that is size large (16-16 1/2 x 34-35).

In Argentina I need to by XXL and the sleeves are usually still to short.

Have you tried Walmart? (Yeah, I know, laugh!) Walmart has some pretty decent shirts for a good price. I bought a pretty nice long-sleeved, button-up for about $27.00 USD/120 ARS. The quality isn't bad either. Perhaps they maintain similar quality controls in comparison to the U.S.?

Steveinbsas is right about the sizing too. I have the same issue. Fortunately, we hang our clothes to dry, so I never have to worry about the shrinking factor. I'd be buying XXL! :eek:

Go to a bargain-shop and buy plain t-shirts for 30 pesos. When one gets destroyed, you use the second one. My 15-peso white t-shirts were good for more than one year each.

Thanks guys! I am looking for something formal. I will check out Walmart! If all else fails then I will have to bite the bullet

I wonder why in the world the quality of AR clothing is poor. These people are smart enough to do a good job. So why don't they? (I have this mental obsession where I try to figure this stuff out! Why? What causes it?) I see there are no women posting here but maybe one who knows is reading. I have thought of going back to sewing, which I used to do for my family in the long ago. I know how to make quality clothing. But my Argentine friend tells me that there is no quality fabric either. Does anyone know?

Incidentally I am learning the latin culture and an argentine friend told me lately when I told her she is "very ambitious" not to ever tell anyone that here, it is an insult. Well in the US being ambitious is considered a quality. But here you are not supposed to be ambitious. That is not supposed to matter to you. So is the problem in the thought processes? What a puzzle!

There are lots of outlets in Villa Crespo along Gurruchaga. It's worth checking out.

Back