In search of fresh mint

cruizes

Registered
Help!

I am trying to prepare some Thai dishes. So far I have found most of the necessary items. However, still searching for fresh mint and kiefer lime leaves. Have visited Barrio Chino twice but nothing!

Thanks for your help.

I definitely saw fresh mint in barrio chino last week, but not in casa china, in another shop. Maybe try to figure out what day their shipments come in, and go that day? Also, ask a few of the bigger verdularias - the veggie lady near me usually has herbs in the back of her fridge, but i haven't asked her for mint yet.

best of luck !

You might be better off just buying a plant. They sell mint plants (last time I looked) in the Jardin Japones, Easy garden centre and most garden centres in the city!

Mint is hit or miss in the verdulerias... they certainly don't always have it in Barrio Chino or any of the Peruvian/Bolivian verdulerias (outside of BC where I find the most luck getting cilantro and hot peppers, etc.). I'd also encourage you to grow a plant. I think they grow well here (as does Thai and Holy basil, though I have had an awful time getting cilantro to grow so still have to buy it).

Kaffir lime leaves are another story. Here is what I know based on fairly extensive investigations in Barrio Chino direct with the store owners. There is ONE Kaffir lime tree in all of Argentina--it's in Mendoza. They harvest its leaves only once every two years, and when that happens they sell the leaves in BC at an exhorbitant price (about a peso per leaf, and that was the last time I saw fresh leaves well over a year ago). I have seen the dried leaves occasionally being sold once (I bought a big bag) but not in a long time. I had a friend bring me leaves back from the States and I stuck them in the freezer. Also, as far as I can tell actually growing a Kaffir lime tree (if you could even find one, I couldn't) takes many years in order to be able to harvest the leaves without damaging the tree. sigh.

ETA: they frequently also sell mint and other herbs growing in little pots in the little plant kiosks that you'll see on the street:)

You should talk to the people at your local verduleria. Some times it's out back in a fridge or if they don't have it they can pick it up for you the next time they go to the central market.

sketchyblueeyes said:
where is jardin japones? I am looking for a good garden store

After you go the art store on S. Ortiz, keep walking up the street for about 4 or 5 blocks & you will find the garden store and another smaller one that I can't remember the addy. Or, come for lunch & I'll take you to the art store then the garden store. :D

mini said:
After you go the art store on S. Ortiz, keep walking up the street for about 4 or 5 blocks & you will find the garden store and another smaller one that I can't remember the addy. Or, come for lunch & I'll take you to the art store then the garden store. :D

There's a big vivero (garden store) that mini is talking about on Scalabrini between Cabrera and Gorriti (I think, without checking my map it's the next parallel street from Cabrera away from Cordoba) and they sell seeds:)

Back