Incandescent Lightbulbs in Arg: Now Illegal?

While regular bulbs are being replaced by compact fluorescent, I noticed halogens bulbs are still around. Maybe changing fixtures is a possibility. Of course if you have a nice chandelier, who would ever want to use fluorescent in those fixtures! In the US now you can find bulbs shaped and look like regular old ones but with leds inside, the hues and color temperature pretty close to the incandescent.

Retarded law, will just lead to more mercury in the environment. I am gonna stock up too.

sketchyblueeyes said:
I have a similar hatred of those stupid fluorescent bulbs. AND they're made with mercury so disposing of them is super bad for the environment. To digress slightly, I once did some work for a company that manufactures them in the USA - and you'd be BAFFLED by how much lobbying money internationally has been shelled out by producers of fluorescent and LED products. Its amazing. The profit margin on these products for producers are insanely higher than the incandescents, and when you add disposal costs, it really makes no sense environmentally to make a 100% switch to them.

*sigh* depressing.

I'm seriously considering.... candles. Anyone here an expert on candles (such as, how do you get more light out of them? Build a mirrored box around it?) or know of an excellent candle store? I only know one candle store in BA ("Ballena" on Soler in Palermo) and they were useless.

About mercury : mercury doesn't leak and isn't released in nature for as long as the bulb remains intact. At worst, store the bulb once it doesn't work anymore (same with batteries, prescription drugs, etc.).

Also, since regular bulbs need 5 times more energy than CF ones, that's 10 grams of mercury that is released in nature during the life cycle of a regular bulb versus 3 grams for CF ones. Considering that CF bulbs contain 2 to 5 milligrams of mercury, all in all, regular bulbs release 3 times more mercury in nature than CF ones.

To avoid that institutional type light that people don't like, look for bulbs that say "luz cálida" the institutional type bulbs are "luz fria"

What is the difference between "luz calida" and "luz fria"? I understand the words (hot vs cold) but are "luz calida"s actually as comfortable as incandescent lights? Sorry for being ignorant on this....

MorganF said:
What is the difference between "luz calida" and "luz fria"? I understand the words (hot vs cold) but are "luz calida"s actually as comfortable as incandescent lights? Sorry for being ignorant on this....

"luz cálida" is "warm lighting" or a more yellowish, softer light, and "luz fria" which is "cool light" or white light which is more of what you would find in a large open area such as a supermarket or the subway. Hope this helps.

Back