Inflation Check

kersuet

Registered
Hello,

I know you BA Expats get tired of these questions....but am considering moving to BA but prices seem to be much different then when I was doing the retirement math in 2004/2005.

Would appreciate any responses to the following price checks. I'll average whatever responses I get and post in this thread. Thank you in advance!

-Modern 1 BR apartment in REcoleta or Plaza St Martin (to rent/month):
-Cup of coffee:
-Steak dinner for 2 with bottle of Malbec and dessert:
-Taxi ride from airport to downtown:
-Movie/cinema ticket:
-Utilities on a 1BR apartment (gas, electricity, phone + cable):

Thank you again for any responses

As a retiree over 65 you should also be concerned about the cost of health insurance. The bill the wife got for January for Swiss Medical was $265. For a couple double that and assume a rate increase in 2009 of 20-30%.

Assuming you are renting a tourista apt - aka, you don't have a guarantia & you can't get one, you want a furnished place, month to month etc - you are probably looking at between $900-$1200 USD per month.

-Cup of coffee: 6 -7 pesos for a coffee

-Steak dinner for 2 with bottle of Malbec and dessert: Normal restaurant (aka, not cheap parilla or super highend place) - about 100 pesos for 2 people. -\

-Taxi ride from airport to downtown: they've gone up. Nomally my friends pick me up but I think the last time it was close to 90 pesos fixed rate.

-Movie/cinema ticket: I honestly can't remember, it's been a while. Maybe 15 pesos or so?

-Utilities on a 1BR apartment (gas, electricity, phone + cable) If you are renting a short-term, furnished apt - normally all utilities are included.

We have had this discussion before, but health insurance with OSDE for those over 36 is 517 pesos. At todays rate, that is about US$150/month.

Yeah, a movie ticket is 15 pesos. A few more things you might be interested that I can think of off the top of my head.

Steak in a grocery store is about 20 pesos/kilo, which works out to about $2.50/pound American.

A dozen empanadas is about 30 pesos.

Wine in a grocery store: Think about what you would pay in the U.S. in dollars and then just convert 1:1 to pesos. Really, it might even be a better deal than that, depending on where you live in the U.S. There is a lot of good wine in Argentina for between 10 and 15 pesos a bottle.

A liter of beer in a cafe is probably between 10 and 15 pesos.

A taxi ride within the city should be between about 10 and 20 pesos, depending on how far you're going.

A subway or bus ticket is (evidently now--there was just a price increase) 1.10 pesos.

I do find in general that prices at restaurants are higher than is usually quoted in guidebooks, even recent ones. It's important to check dates when exact prices are quoted because, as I'm sure you're aware, they've changed dramatically over the years.

We just got the water bill today so I can tell you water bill for two months: A$R30 for two people.

what would quality health insurance run per mo for a man of 60 and woman of 50?

to cover bad emergeincies no little stuff

steve1313 said:
what would quality health insurance run per mo for a man of 60 and woman of 50?

to cover bad emergeincies no little stuff

You can get into an expat group plan with medicus and pay about $100 (dollars) each per month for FULL coverage (for now). Sign up cost $200 US. I've never met the man (Martin) who made it possible, but it is clearly a great deal.

kersuet said:
Would appreciate any responses to the following price checks.

I would recommend Recoleta over Plaza San Martin. Be careful; some apartments in San Martin (Retiro) are advertised as being in Recoleta when they aren't.

Get the picture?

Citygirl is right ($900-$1200 per month for a one bedroom furnished apt.)

Back