Inflation

Ashley said:
To be perfectly honest, I don't think there's anything anyone can do about it (on a local salary) apart from sit tight and wait... or leave (I'm still debating the pros and cons of that one!).
I think what puzzles me the most is how local businesses (which I assume rely on locals for the vast majority of their income) manage to survive. Supermarkets and restaurants aside (you have to eat, I guess), I had to buy some new jeans the other day and paid UK mid-range high street prices for some at a run of the mill shop in cabildo. I found a couple of cheaper options (not many and not significantly cheaper) but the quality was outstandingly terrible. Surely, there are not enough people buying 200 peso jeans, 300 peso shoes to keep these places in business??

Hmm I pay 45 pesos for my jeans and while the quality isn't top notch. Its not terrible, all of mine have held up pretty well to the use and abuse I throw at them.

On topic, the inflation here is murderous. But still eating isn't super expensive.

I probably average 17 pesos a day on food. And I eat pretty well I think. Thats if I cook. Now on the other hand if I go out, I'm usually looking at at least 120 pesos. As a result I almost never eat out any more. I remember when a main course at my favorite restaurant was 14 pesos; now it is 24. Insane.

I have rediscovered lentils - cheap, tasty, and full of iron. A pot of lentil soup will see me through at least three days.

I'm lucky that I've put my rent away for the next 2 years, so only need to eat and buy baby supplies for my son, but it's still not easy the way prices are sky-rocketing.

:-/

I went to this very modest to say the least place today. 5 empanadas were 17.50 and a beer, non premium beer, was 17 pesos. This is for a hole in the wall place. 34.50. I walked home and didnt find one block with sidewalks not broken and garbage and dog poop everywhere. the people are dirty and prices are soaring.

Knowing Argentina, things will get much worse before they get better. We natives manage thanks to a wide network of family and old friends, but it must be terribly hard for expats.

Broccoli, unless you have family here, don't fritter away your life in a place you dislike so much. This is not a "love it or leave" post, but honest advice. LIFE IS TOO SHORT AND TOO UNPREDICTABLE to waste a single day being unhappy. Move on and keep looking until you find a place that feels right. Argentina is obviously not it - cut your losses and try your luck elsewhere.

Ashley said:
To be perfectly honest, I don't think there's anything anyone can do about it (on a local salary) apart from sit tight and wait... or leave (I'm still debating the pros and cons of that one!).
I think what puzzles me the most is how local businesses (which I assume rely on locals for the vast majority of their income) manage to survive. Supermarkets and restaurants aside (you have to eat, I guess), I had to buy some new jeans the other day and paid UK mid-range high street prices for some at a run of the mill shop in cabildo. I found a couple of cheaper options (not many and not significantly cheaper) but the quality was outstandingly terrible. Surely, there are not enough people buying 200 peso jeans, 300 peso shoes to keep these places in business??

I can't figure out what is keeping the economy afloat. I hear people talk about wages which are shockingly low and housing costs which are shockingly high for the tiny space etc that you get. On a dollars per square foot basis, much of the city is as expensive as high cost areas in the U.S. - I have been brought in the know about 'guarantee' prices/foreigners versus hefty upfront payment prices.

PhilipDT said:
Hmm I pay 45 pesos for my jeans and while the quality isn't top notch. Its not terrible, all of mine have held up pretty well to the use and abuse I throw at them.

On topic, the inflation here is murderous. But still eating isn't super expensive.

I probably average 17 pesos a day on food. And I eat pretty well I think. Thats if I cook. Now on the other hand if I go out, I'm usually looking at at least 120 pesos. As a result I almost never eat out any more. I remember when a main course at my favorite restaurant was 14 pesos; now it is 24. Insane.

45 peso jeans...Where? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I live in a pretty average area (Chacarita) and haven't come across anything under 100 pesos (when looking in Once, I think). My boyfriend (who's Argentine but not a skinny size) hasn't found anything in his size under 200 pesos.
Eating in, we probably spend about 40 - 50 pesos per day(for two people) and that's just for a basic lunch/dinner. I can cut it down if I make soup or a pizza from scratch. I don't tend to buy anything in bulk because a) it's not worth it here and b) Vegetables tend to have a 2-day life span.
Maybe you just have to be "in the know" as far as making purchases are concerned...but I've been here for years and have yet to come across such places!

Ashley said:
Vegetables tend to have a 2-day life span.

Wow! Where?
I don't buy fruit or veg than I can't eat on the same day, because it doesn't last overnight!

I was assured at the get-together last night that there are places where you can buy good fruit and veg, but I can't find any near me....I remain sceptical.

Alzinho said:
Wow! Where?
I don't buy fruit or veg than I can't eat on the same day, because it doesn't last overnight!

I was assured at the get-together last night that there are places where you can buy good fruit and veg, but I can't find any near me....I remain sceptical.

There is an excellent one near where you had dinner. It's in exactly the same place on the block as La Escondida but down 2 blocks on Soler.

mini said:
There is an excellent one near where you had dinner. It's in exactly the same place on the block as La Escondida but down 2 blocks on Soler.

Which makes it a helluva long way from where I live....though if I was sure I was going to get quality produce I'm willing to make a bit of a trek.

Back