Inflation

citygirl said:
I have no idea what the post above this means:confused:

People I know are going out a lot less, shopping more carefully, foregoing "luxuries" like new clothes or putting off major purchases and in general, relying on family and friends a lot more.

There are those that are here as a result of family or reasons that don't allow them to leave so they're "stuck" here for lack of a better word. As for the rest, I would guess that many expats who came down here thinking it was "cheap and fun" will be packing their bags and moving on to their next destination or back home.

As to what's keeping the economy afloat - well stay tuned. I predict 2011 is going to be a very rough year here based on the data I look at. I don't have a crystal ball but the economic factors aren't good and 2011 would be right on schedule for the 10 year boom/bust cycle.

Where is AR now? (I apologize for my ignorance, just learning, but in a hurry, because as i mentioned elsewhere I am arriving in 2 weeks. A side note .. inflation is raging in USA as well... things jump 50% overnight.. Walmart,that old bastion, is increasing prices tremendously and the quality is ....well, i buy nothing there anymore...used to get neat t-shirts for $10
now 16 - 20 and.. so poorly made I didnt think things would get made for the market using such inferior materials and workmanship.

But do please expand on your view of 2011...thank you

Maikito said:
Rent plays a big part in this. Luckily our rent is $1000 pesos monthly for a 2 rooms, 1 bath, kitchen, living room and HUGE balcony were we can host parties for 30 people, in Lourdes, Santos Luares, very very close to Capital and one of the best electric metro trains (Linea Urquiza). But, overall yes, I feel the inflation soaring incredibly and even more so after just arrving back from Puerto Rico and Florida. We try to save out money for entertainment and groceries. Entertainment being the Abasto movie theater using always 2x1 offers and, visiting friends or having friends over.

Why stay then?

Maikito said:
Rent plays a big part in this. Luckily our rent is $1000 pesos monthly for a 2 rooms, 1 bath, kitchen, living room and HUGE balcony were we can host parties for 30 people, in Lourdes, Santos Luares, very very close to Capital and one of the best electric metro trains (Linea Urquiza). But, overall yes, I feel the inflation soaring incredibly and even more so after just arrving back from Puerto Rico and Florida. We try to save out money for entertainment and groceries. Entertainment being the Abasto movie theater using always 2x1 offers and, visiting friends or having friends over.

May I ask, did you use a guarantor?

qwerty said:
Why stay then?

Because my life is here in Buenos Aires, and being a same-sex couple the federal immigration law doesn't give my boyfriend the option to enter the US as a legal immigrant via our relationship.

crakenflux said:
May I ask, did you use a guarantor?

We used my father in law's and sister in law's "recibo de sueldo" as the garantors. Its definitely more flexible in provincia.

crakenflux said:
Where is AR now? (I apologize for my ignorance, just learning, but in a hurry, because as i mentioned elsewhere I am arriving in 2 weeks. A side note .. inflation is raging in USA as well... things jump 50% overnight.. Walmart,that old bastion, is increasing prices tremendously and the quality is ....well, i buy nothing there anymore...used to get neat t-shirts for $10
now 16 - 20 and.. so poorly made I didnt think things would get made for the market using such inferior materials and workmanship.

Inflation is raging in the USA? Prices are flat or falling. If you think the quality of merchandise is poor at Walmart wait until you get here.

crakenflux said:

Are you ignorant or just to stupid to check inflation numbers in the states right now? It's FLAT. Man are you in for an economic surprise when you hit BA.

Inflation in the US is pretty steady in general but low. In some sectors you do have high inflation but it isn't at the level that it is at in Argentina.

Having said that, prices still aren't that bad as an Expat or tourist in Argentina. If you are poor or lower to middle class in Argentina you will feel it alot more.

Actually if you want to know where inflation is at in Argentina, just check in with INDEC, they have the true figures.

Davidglen77 said:
Actually if you want to know where inflation is at in Argentina, just check in with INDEC, they have the true figures.

lololol

epiclulz.jpg

Back