Inflation

Maikito said:
Because my life is here in Buenos Aires, and being a same-sex couple the federal immigration law doesn't give my boyfriend the option to enter the US as a legal immigrant via our relationship.

And there are no other gay-friendly countries where you can have a better quality of life?

qwerty said:
And there are no other gay-friendly countries where you can have a better quality of life?

The Netherlands for instance. But sorry for the shitty weather ;)

ghost said:
Are you ignorant or just to stupid to check inflation numbers in the states right now? It's FLAT. Man are you in for an economic surprise when you hit BA.

No need to be rude, some people are wondering what to expect if they're coming into BA in 2011. Sounds like we're getting some mixed remarks from people, some seem to think it's god-awful and others say it's manageable, just trying to gauge things is all.

I live in DC which is an expensive city, so I imagine from what some have told me it's around equal to BA.

qwerty said:

I'm sure there are, but why would we go through loads of immigration bureaucracy on another country with no savings or people to help you start out? He is Argentine and I'm already a permanent resident so we're alright here.

AlexfromLA said:
prices still aren't that bad as an Expat or tourist in Argentina.

Not all of us expats are exactly living here with a fistful of dollars. I make a local salary and while inflation hasn't put me in the poor house quite just yet, I do feel the pain. I used to be able to practically fill up the shopping cart with $100 pesos - now I spend just that on 3 or 4 bags of groceries.

mcaffa said:
Not all of us expats are exactly living here with a fistful of dollars. I make a local salary and while inflation hasn't put me in the poor house quite just yet, I do feel the pain.

Exactly where I stand.

dc2ba said:
No need to be rude, some people are wondering what to expect if they're coming into BA in 2011. Sounds like we're getting some mixed remarks from people, some seem to think it's god-awful and others say it's manageable, just trying to gauge things is all.

I live in DC which is an expensive city, so I imagine from what some have told me it's around equal to BA.
You said that inflation was high currently in the US and that is very missleading and wrong. It is dead flat on the curve. Even gas prices are low for summer.
Listen to Citygirl...my contacts here in BA are saying the same thing as she.

Yeah, he wasn't being rude. No need for that.

Also you have to remember the US is a HUGE country compared to Argentina, especially when you compare population. And the inflation figures you read are usually just an average estimate.

For instance unemployment figures in the US overall are about 9% right now. But in some states it's as high ( or higher, I haven't looked at them too recently ) as 18%.

So even though the average inflation might be low nationwide, in some States inflation might be much higher or easily double the national figures.

In any case it's still not as high as Argentina.

ghost said:
Are you ignorant or just to stupid to check inflation numbers in the states right now? It's FLAT. Man are you in for an economic surprise when you hit BA.

Back