Info On Paying Overstay Fee At Imigraciones

Commodorius

Registered
As we all know, you can´t pay the overstay fine if you leave by boat or bus and, of course, the website meant to handle this duty does not work. It probably will never work. Anyway, I just wanted to relate my experience.

Last time I left I paid at EZE no prob. Step 1, go to imigraciones desk and hand over passport. They give you the paper to take to the bank. Step 2, pay at the bank. Step 3, return with the receipt and get your passport and form.

This is the same basic process at imigraciones but with more walking around. It was my first time visiting the good ole DMA and I was surprised to find that it is located in the very same complex they built over a 100 years ago to handle immigrants. It is very well preserved and the courtyard is lovely this time of year.

So you have to go into the first door, labeled Puerta 4 (obvio). In there you have to locate the Extra Mercosur desk which when I went was right inside to the left and was manned by one little old lady. You ask her for a turno "M". She gives you a slip of paper with a number on it and directs you to building 6, which is out back and across the courtyard. It was near empty when I went (I recommend going after 3 in the afternoon.) There you located the "M" booths and wait for them to free up. The number I was given was arbitrary even though the were calling turns, the numbers didn't correspond to the turnos we were given.

So anyway, when you get called up you hand them your passport and they give you the paper. Now you have to walk back over to Building 4 to the cajas there and pay. Again, for me, it was 300 pesos like always. I had read some people paid 400 but I think they were just getting gamed. Once you have the receipt you walk back over and wait for your person to call you over and they finish the deal. All in all it took maybe 15 minutes once I had figured out where to go.

They give you ten days to get out of the country.

After all this, we went to check out the little Immigration museum that is free, and tucked away on the top floor of building 6 which used to be the old hotel for newly arrived immigrants. It is a gorgeous space that has been well kept up. The exhibit has some nice touches and artifacts, though it is small. Much of the vast space is currently taken up with art exhibits. The staff there were really nice and seemed genuinely into their jobs and the history that they are serving to protect. I hightly recommend making the most of your visit there by stopping by the museum.

Back