Information on importing yacht from USA

JonnyDucth

Registered
Hello Everyone:

After having spent the last 10 years going back and forth between the USA and Argentina I have decided permanently settle in Argentina.
My reason for posting is having recently purchased a sailboat I am looking to bring it down to Buenos Aires at some point.
Does anyone know the procedure as to importing such an item while completing the migration process.

I had read something quite a few years ago that as long as it was personal property for at least 6 months, I would not be required to pay the large (20-35%) import taxes but that selling it here might be an issue.

Would be grateful for any help on the subject.
Thank you

This would be a painful 2 or 3 part process with the Prefectura Naval Argentina (to register the craft), Aduana Argentina, then AFIP. Then there's the issue of where you intend to keep it. As far as I know, there are ample waiting lists for docking in most nautical clubs. I don't imagine there is a quick resolution. I don't think that it's impossible, but it would certainly be daunting.
PNA tramites
Also see (serach 'boat" ) (posted Feb 20, 2018) : http://webportal.atlasintl.com/Customs Docs/Argentina.pdf

Last edited:
Is it a yacht or a sailboat? I don't think that it can be both.
under the definition of yacht in Argentina according to the PNA - any non-working (that is to say - a sport of pleasure craft) is considered a yacht despite it's means of propulsion.

''yacht'' is a pretentious word for ''boat''......I have sailed, and periodically lived on my ''boats'' since I was much younger...in the US the word ''yacht'' burns most sailors and boaters ears...in the UK it often refers to a sailboat....the defining point is vague as pleasure boats keep getting bigger and bigger, but after speaking with some friends, the consensus is: Yacht = 80' - 125'......super-yacht = 125' - 200'.....mega-yacht = 200' +....as you can see, it's a matter of perspective....people sell boats and buy yachts

Been a while now but from what I recall when we shipped our container of personal belongings here we had to itemise everything and the total wasn't allowed to exceed a certain value or it had to be declared. When we went to the port to get it released the door seal was cut then opened in front of us. However apart from opening a few boxes they didn't seem all that interested. I suspect they already knew beforehand we ticked all the right boxes and weren't up to no good.

I imagine a boat with value attached will attract far more attention thus I really can't see you avoiding paying duty on it. Get in touch with one of the sailing clubs next time you're here and ask them for advice.

After having spent the last 10 years going back and forth between the USA and Argentina I have decided permanently settle in Argentina.

My reason for posting is having recently purchased a sailboat I am looking to bring it down to Buenos Aires at some point.

Does anyone know the procedure as to importing such an item while completing the migration process.

I had read something quite a few years ago that as long as it was personal property for at least 6 months, I would not be required to pay the large (20-35%) import taxes but that selling it here might be an issue.

No matter how long you have owned it, boats (of any kind) may not be imported duty free while completing the migration process (becoming a permanent resident).

From the link Nikad provided:

"No se puede ingresar por este régimen camiones, motos ni ningún tipo de embarcación (motos de agua, lanchas, yates, etc.)"

From google.translate:

"You can not enter by this regime trucks, motorcycles or any type of boat (jet skis, boats, yachts, etc.)"

The customs fees will be based on the valuation of the boat plus the cost of insurance and shipping and I believe that fee will also be subject to IVA of an additional 21%.

I recently read that there are two rates levied on imported vehicles (including boats?) depending on whether the value is above or below $400,000 pesos, but that figure could have changed significantly since the end of 2015.

Last edited:
Unless money really is no object, I would get the willies at imagining the number of monetary attachments your boat
would attract in terms of taxes, licenses, etc. A pal of mine long ago bought and registered the yacht (80') he lives on
in the Seine right downtown and he pays an astonishing number of local and federal taxes to do so. Including, I believe,
an arrondisement tax for parking his car as a boat owner. It's breathtaking. And while the French can be clever at
such things, I think the Argentines have them beat, which is to say you have to consider the "easement assessments" to local
officials to accomplish your goals. That's a long way of saying I wouldn't do it unless I had a totally experienced person
who really knows what s/he is talking about as my guide and adviser. Buena suerte.

Back