Ingredients for Indian cooking

Utopos

Registered
Hola.

Does anyone know where to obtain ingredients for Indian cooking? At the moment I'm specifically looking for sabut urad dal (whole black lentil/gram) but every online search (ML etc.) gives me black beans (porotos negros). Delicious as those are, they are not the same.

Some things surprise me with their ready availability, like besan (chickpea flour) for instance, so I hope I'm just not looking in the right place. And while I'm at it, has anyone seen canned water chestnuts? None in Barrio Chino, though they do have fresh. Go figure...

Thanks.

Hola.

Does anyone know where to obtain ingredients for Indian cooking? At the moment I'm specifically looking for sabut urad dal (whole black lentil/gram) but every online search (ML etc.) gives me black beans (porotos negros). Delicious as those are, they are not the same.

Some things surprise me with their ready availability, like besan (chickpea flour) for instance, so I hope I'm just not looking in the right place. And while I'm at it, has anyone seen canned water chestnuts? None in Barrio Chino, though they do have fresh. Go figure...

Thanks.
No clue about the water chestnuts, but did you by chance see in Barrio Chino anything like canned Corned Beef? Any canned meats at all, aside from the usual fish?

No clue about the water chestnuts, but did you by chance see in Barrio Chino anything like canned Corned Beef? Any canned meats at all, aside from the usual fish?
Although I keep cans of corned beef in my store cupboard in the UK, I've never thought to look for in Argentina. I supposed it wouldn't have been popular with all the fresh meat available on the hoof. (Twenty-something years of coming and going and I still haven't been to visit Fray Bentos!)

Hola, sorry for the delay.

On the day I was last at Barrio Chino, it was so crowded that I only looked quickly for a few essentials. Which means I didn't notice any corned beef or similar such thing.

However I HAVE seen canned meat at many places. I think the brand is Swift and it's called picadillo, in cans similar to tuna but smaller. Most chinos should stock it, and I noticed it in DIA just a few days ago.

Corned beef is ain't, but it is canned meat. My wife likes it but I've never been hungry enough to try it.

By the way, corning your own beef is not difficult if that is your true interest, and far better than store-bought. The ingredients are available here, and you can use beef cuts other than brisket too. Bondiola can be made into a decent ham by a similar method, which makes me regret not bringing my smoker when we shipped our things here.

Hola, sorry for the delay.

On the day I was last at Barrio Chino, it was so crowded that I only looked quickly for a few essentials. Which means I didn't notice any corned beef or similar such thing.

However I HAVE seen canned meat at many places. I think the brand is Swift and it's called picadillo, in cans similar to tuna but smaller. Most chinos should stock it, and I noticed it in DIA just a few days ago.

Corned beef is ain't, but it is canned meat. My wife likes it but I've never been hungry enough to try it.
Yes, thanks, I am aware of that. It's pretty gross, TBH

Some things surprise me with their ready availability, like besan (chickpea flour)
Chickpea (garbanzo) flour is used to make the garbanzo flatbread Fainá that is found in many or all pizza places.

Red pink lentils they call Turkish lentils which are found in most dietética and other cereal/grains in bulk stores. Maybe the black ones you search for as well.

Back