Intercultural Misunderstandings with Argentinians - any stories?

fifilafiloche said:
I digress with that cultual assumption. I won t develop arguments here because this is not the topic, but be prepared to many "intercultural misunderstandings" and frustrations if you go travelling with that idea in mind in most places in the world. "Customer is king" is a motto that applies in very few countries, "respect local code of behaviour" is far more widespread. I remember being refused entry to clubs i was willing to visit as a customer in the US too for not respecting their code of conduct/dressing (shorts).

A lot of clubs in the world won't let you enter wearing shorts.

I was refused entry to a bar in japan because I wasn't japanese.

In France, we have the "Japanese expat depression syndrom" or "syndrome de Paris".

The cause of this depression is the cultural gap, especially visible in services. The hierarchy there and here between the customer and the attendant are very different. At home, the japanese customer is treated like the most important person on earth, the attendant was educated to be totally at the service of the customer.

In France, the psychology is different. Due to the high cost of labour (social charges), everything is pretty much self service and the attendant is more preoccupied by keeping the shop in order than attending the customer (except in luxury shops). Everywhere, from banks to administrations, train stations to low cost airlines or hotels, you will be expected to use machines with your credit card to place your order. This is very desorienting for somebody that doesnt speak the language.

What surprises me is that this high prices/poor service reality doesnt seem to affect tourism, France being the first global tourist destination. If you come with the idea that "customer is king", you should just stay at home because the experience will seem very unfriendly and frustrating, you won t enjoy your time there.

Every year, Paris hospitals get hundreds of Japanese patients that couldnt coop with that cultural gap and need treatment. Some have to fly home urgently. Their values are totally denied, they feel inexistant, uncapable to fit to that environment.

In english, i think it s called "occupational hazard".

http://www.lefigaro.fr/france/20060624.FIG000000652_le_spleen_des_japonais_a_paris.html

At a milonga I tried to discretely put on my dancing shoes by doing it underneath the table covered by a long table cloth instead of going to the bathroom to do it. I got admonishing looks. However, it's apparently OK to take your shoes off at your table when you're preparing to leave.

Go figure.

victoria said:
At a milonga I tried to discretely put on my dancing shoes by doing it underneath the table covered by a long table cloth instead of going to the bathroom to do it. I got admonishing looks. However, it's apparently OK to take your shoes off at your table when you're preparing to leave.

Go figure.

Victoria

that´s an interesting experience!
Changing your shoes on the dance floor is definitely well seen in any milonga or salsa club in Buenos Aires.
In the end, dancing is what you went there for.

Thanks for sharing it!
Natalia

A funny story about the difference between servile and service and the misfortunes people with that "customer is king" psychology can possibly face.

My step brother, who is reknown for his emotional disorders, booked a flight with Ryanair from France to Morocco. He has that kind of attitude where he expects every employee to be servile, even when he pays cheap.

He had a problem with his booking since he had to print the boarding pass before going to the registering desk. Since he didnt, he had to pay an extra 80 Euros for him and his daughter, which pissed him off.

When he entered the plane, he decided he would sit on the front seats so that he could stretch his legs. The attendant asked him to move to back seats because he was hindering the service. He couldnt care less and showed very much arrogance. Guess what?

He got debarked in Malaga, Spain, by the police, even tho the plane was not meant to land there. He had to find a way to go Marrakech by himself ;)

http://www.carhire4airports.com/travel/European_Travel_News/Who_dares_Ryanair/

nataliasarro said:
Victoria

that´s an interesting experience!
Changing your shoes on the dance floor is definitely well seen in any milonga or salsa club in Buenos Aires.
In the end, dancing is what you went there for.

Thanks for sharing it!
Natalia

You may well see this, what you will not see is locals doing this, and in the clubs de barrio they will direct both men and women to the toilets to change their shoes.

Back