Interesting Article In La Nacion

I think that is BS because here in Uruguay they have much more and much better English by way way way far more. Uruguayans are in my opinion way ahead or Argentinians in education. Which only makes sense the best standard of living in South America logically following the ones with better educations.

Matias, that article is four years old. In the current (2014) rankings, which included many more countries, Argentina's position actually improved to #15. In fact, the only two countries outside of Europe that outranked Argentina were Malaysia and Singapore. And Uruguay is #40. :)

http://ef.com

[In the lower left of the page, click "EFI", then scroll down for the complete rankings. Sorry to do it this way, but the pages on EF's site change URLs depending on what country you access it from.]

Silvie.The days of large numbers of Uruguayans moving to Argentina are over and the same can be said of the Chileans.It is the number of Argentines going to live in both of these countries rhat is increasing at present.The only ones still coming here are the Bolivians and Paraguayans.

Silvie.The days of large numbers of Uruguayans moving to Argentina are over and the same can be said of the Chileans.It is the number of Argentines going to live in both of these countries rhat is increasing at present.The only ones still coming here are the Bolivians and Paraguayans.
i also see more colombians here every day and chileans seem to remain the same.

So wrong.

There are almost 500,000 uruguayans in Buenos Aires (1/6 of its population) and that wont change, simply because Buenos Aires is THE big city where uruguayans migrate and have migrated for centuries. It is the only big city where they feel at home due to the same history, the same culture, etc. It is very different, for instance, from any brazilian city.

And as long as Chile wont change its education law, we will still have a favourable migratory flow. In fact, that is the main reason why we have so many chileans with us.

You stop someone on the street in Santiago, they will speak some English. A taxi driver speaks some English. An employee in the pharmacy may well speak some English. Same for Montevideo. Here this is simply not (as) true. No amount of rankings will change that.

It's an interesting question why the rankings diverge so sharply from what you see on the street, but my personal experience is not going anywhere on account of this article.

Back