International ATM / ABM fees for Canadians

citygirl said:
Oh and my other least fave thing about them - we use HSBCnet for all our accounts in the world. Except Argentina. Why? Because HSBCnet doesn't work here. You have to use PC banking here in Argentina.
That is because Argentina Central Bank has capital controls. Has nothing to do with HSBC. And no other bank in the world even offers anything similar to HSBCnet (commercial) or Global View (retail).

citygirl said:
Oh & they're getting a lot less global - they've shut down retail operations in over 15 countries in the past year or so including in AP, Europe and the AMS. They announced last month they're selling/closing their retail business in 7 AP countries which is supposedly their "hub".
HSBC has a massive global footprint, the loss of a few very small unprofitable retail networks does not make much of a dent in their value proposition to clients. All the core decent sized networks remain in place. Furthermore, the commercial banking footprint has increased (which is what you seem interested in).

KarlaBA said:
I've had problems with my relationship manager as well at HSBC, but as the bank is a global bank, i have been able to get satisfaction by applying pressure to other parts of the bank i interact with.

Be careful with the term "Global bank", that is what got so many people screwed
in the 201-2 crisis. HSBC in Argentina is an Argentinean bank, a separate legalen the crisis entity that the global organization has no legal responsibility for.

In the big crisis of 2001-2, people were under the mistaken impression that the international bank would step in and protect the deposits here, led on by indirect false sales pitches of the bank. When the restrictions, corralitos and
bank failures came, the association with the international organization was worthless. Especially bad was the Scotiabank (originally from Canada) whose name is largely mud here now.

KarlaBA said:
I've had problems with my relationship manager as well at HSBC, but as the bank is a global bank, i have been able to get satisfaction by applying pressure to other parts of the bank i interact with.

Be careful with the term "Global bank", that is what got so many people screwed
in the 201-2 crisis. HSBC in Argentina is an Argentinean bank, a separate legal entity that the global organization has no legal responsibility for.

In the big crisis of 2001-2, people were under the mistaken impression that the international bank would step in and protect the deposits here, led on by indirect false sales pitches of the bank. When the restrictions, corralitos and
bank failures came, the association with the international organization was worthless. Especially bad was the Scotiabank (originally from Canada) whose name is largely mud here now.

Karla -
Since you seem to be quite familiar with HSBC - can you answer my original question. You stated that if you have a premier account with HSBC in other areas, they will open up a premier bank account for you here.

Are you saying that they will do so WITHOUT a DNI? And are currently doing so?

Again, that is the opposite of what I know but would be interested if you know otherwise.

citygirl said:
Karla -
Since you seem to be quite familiar with HSBC - can you answer my original question. You stated that if you have a premier account with HSBC in other areas, they will open up a premier bank account for you here.

Are you saying that they will do so WITHOUT a DNI? And are currently doing so?

Again, that is the opposite of what I know but would be interested if you know otherwise.
You need a DNI to open a retail account with HSBC Argentina. That is a federal law.

What i stated in the post you are referring to is that if a customer has Premier status at HSBC in a particular country, then that status can be transferred over to another country. In many cases the new country accounts can be opened without the client ever leaving the original country (though this is not the case with Argentina b/c of federal laws).

Ah, then I'm guessing a moot point for the OP since it would seem there is no DNI and ability to open a local account here so even if s/he did qualify for premier, it wouldn't matter here in terms of opening an account.

I would still say that if you have the ability to open a local bank account, you are best served with Galicia or Santander Rio to get those huge discounts on shopping.

To the OP - sorry for the hijack.

Back