iPad apps for BA/Argentina

KasaMartinez

Registered
Can anyone recommend Must Have ipad apps for Buenos Aires or Argentina in general? For example, are there good apps for the bus system, subte system, touring/sites/attractions, food/restuarants, translations, travel within the region, or anything else that would be useful as we get our feet under us.

We also have an Android tablet, so you can also recommend apps in that format, as well.

I did search the forums before I posted to avoid a repeat thread, but I didn't see anything, so excuse me if it's been discussed and please direct me to the thread.

Thanks

I would like to know what you guys use for map applications here. I am interested if anyone has a good offline one. The only one I have found really sucks...

The best one so far that I know of is MiIteniero (Something like that) for the bus system. Its pretty good...

I have no clue, but if I were you I would not flash your tablets much, they might get you into trouble. Better safe than sorry.

I only have one on my iphone, its for the subway - called Subtes...Lite. Has a map of the subway lines / stations. I am sure there are plenty more but thats all I have.

If you have just arrived, comoviajo.com is a good web site to use. Its basically a travel planner for Buenos Aires, for all the collectivos / bondis and subte. Not sure if there is a related app, wouldnt be surprised if there is.

Do exercise a bit of street awareness with your electronics though, flashing them out in the streets / around too much and they will disappear pretty quickly!

I don't think the penetration of tablets is too high, i might be wrong but the cost is pretty prohibitive for the locals.

..and yeah, keep it at home, don't wave it about in public.

I use citymaps2go as an offline map on the iphone. I think it's $2 for the app, and then you can download as many maps as you want. Make sure to download the maps on wifi, they're big (~50mb).

Okay people seriously. You're in Buenos Aires. Get with the program. Buy a Guia-T if you want to have maps with you while on the go.

Taking your tablet out on the street...might as well find a homeless guy and give it to him.

Haha love the responses....maybe lets talk about iphone apps then.

I used BA Time Out app, the map is good (has the direction of traffic on streets, so you can always tell if you're walking the wrong direction). On the map there's six tabs below for sights, food, drinks, shopping, music and theatre and it will pop up all the locations they have reviewed on the map so it's handy if you're somewhere that you don't know and want to hop to another bar etc.

It doesn't have bus directions but has the subte.

Ahh nico I forgot about the Guia! A must have! 10 pesos last time I checked a cpl of months ago (probs like 20 now). And while you are at it, get yourself a SUBE card (swipe card to use on buses / subte) save you having to scrounge monedas. Your passport should do it!

I don't have an ipad but the iphone apps I use (I'm not sure if they are all available on both?)

-TT BAires - For getting train schedules
-Subtes...Lite - as mentioned above, it's a map of the subte lines
-ColectivosBA - for how to get from A to B with the colectivos, great app! the only downside is you have to have the actual street number, no cross streets...
- La Nacion newspaper has an app that I peruse when bored or waiting

But do take everyone's advice and don't take your iPad out in the street. I am crazy careful with my iPhone and never take it out in the street. If I'm lost on which bus to take I always go into a store off the street to use the iPhone and even then usually use it inside my purse and don't even take it out.

A Guia T is supposedly fantastic but I have honestly never figured that thing out after 2 and a half years here...

For a fantastic map online that should be easy to view from safari or a browser app on your ipad is:
http://mapa.buenosaires.gov.ar/
You can get transportation directions on it, i love it!

Back