Irs Requirements For Obtaining Itin For Spouse

Desde2008

Registered
I am in the process of applying for an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) that is required by the IRS when filing Federal Taxes. One of the requirements is to send my spouse's original valid passport (or a certified copy from the issuing agency).

Does anyone know how to obtain a certified copy of an Argentine Passport that is acceptable to the IRS?

Thanks in advance.

I would guess just have her take it to an escribano for certification. That's the standard process here. There's also the Colegiales de escribano son Callao between Las Heras and V. Lopez. I've had things certified there as well.

I believe if it has to be certified to be used abroad, what you need to do it get it apostilled. A local certification by escribano is only valid within Argentina.

I think all documents that need certified by a notary for the US have to be done in the US embassy. I'm not sure they'll take an Argentine certification. Plus, if you get it from the US embassy you won't need to get an apostille. If you call them they should be able to clarify what is the easiest and quickest procedure.

Any US consulate or US embassy
I take it back. Looks like US embassies and consulates general only certify copies of US passports http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/scs/notary_instructions.html

I take it back. Looks like US embassies and consulates general only certify copies of US passports http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/scs/notary_instructions.html

You are correct, I found something like n the U.S. Embassy site that stated I would need to get a Apostille for the Argentine Passport. That makes since to me but it will be the first time doing this. Anyone have any suggestions where to start?

Thanks

I was told in the U.S. that you can't actually do it from abroad, but only from the U.S. (told this at IRS office in Texas, but that could have been nonsense). Since I was there, we showed passport and got one in a couple of months at a stateside address.

I was told in the U.S. that you can't actually do it from abroad, but only from the U.S. (told this at IRS office in Texas, but that could have been nonsense). Since I was there, we showed passport and got one in a couple of months at a stateside address.

Thanks Tex

The latest on this is that a Apostille for an Argentine passport can be had for 45 pesos at Arenales 845 between 0830 and 1330. The information from the IRS document that I read as part of the instructions to complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. The reason that I wanted to use her passport is that is the only form of documentation that is required. Any other documentation requires two forms of identification.

Back