Is BA safe for women ?

uber drivers who commit crimes are no different here than anywhere else.

uber being "illegal" in buenos aires doesn't impact quality of service or drivers. bad people will be bad people. you can use it just fine. if you have a US credit card you can use it with uber in argentina.

uber drivers who commit crimes are no different here than anywhere else.

uber being "illegal" in buenos aires doesn't impact quality of service or drivers. bad people will be bad people. you can use it just fine. if you have a US credit card you can use it with uber in argentina.

A lot of uber drivers don't have the required 'professional' driver's license to be driving around passengers. They are also not adequately insured. Furthermore, There is a law in place now in Argentina, that if an Uber driver gets caught driving, his vehicle will be towed, his license will be suspended, and he will receive a 200,000 peso fine. You will also not have to deal with Uber's X rates, where they charge you more for busy periods. It's a no brainer to me NOT to use Uber.

The so-called Uber "drivers" cant drive without a GPS and even when they use a GPS, they can not understand its instructions and often get lost, both prior arrival to pick up and then when going to the destination. I found this only with BA uber drivers - no where else. For the 10% fare saved, just not worth it.

understand your points. to each their own, i don't really feel I'm more protected in a taxi or cabify who may be more insured because in the end i don't see how that ends up helping me anyway if i were in an accident here.

I have been biking every night from Palermo to San Telmo from milongas. It is very safe. You can buy a fairly cheap bike in Coto abasto and you have to have two locks, one of them a u lock. You can buy good and fairly cheap on Cordoba/ Peurrydon. Take the bike inside for the night. People tell me women violence are more common in the outskirts and I am never scared walking in the night. It is safer than Europe.

What you maybe should worry more about, is the thefts. Yesterday I saw a guy stealing a rugsack from another guy, running away with it in Montserrat. And people get their cell phones stolen in the subway. Also there is a lot of drugs in Argentina now and I heard they put stuff in women drinks sometimes. You will get friends at the school and in my experience, people take care of you here.

Good luck!

I have been biking every night from Palermo to San Telmo from milongas. It is very safe. You can buy a fairly cheap bike in Coto abasto and you have to have two locks, one of them a u lock. You can buy good and fairly cheap on Cordoba/ Peurrydon. Take the bike inside for the night. People tell me women violence are more common in the outskirts and I am never scared walking in the night. It is safer than Europe.

What you maybe should worry more about, is the thefts. Yesterday I saw a guy stealing a rugsack from another guy, running away with it in Montserrat. And people get their cell phones stolen in the subway. Also there is a lot of drugs in Argentina now and I heard they put stuff in women drinks sometimes. You will get friends at the school and in my experience, people take care of you here.

Good luck!

Burundanga is a drug that leaves women helpless and then don't remember what ever happened .So they claim.
Never accept a drink from a man or woman, or let your glass out of sight.....
Is BA more dangerous that Barcelona or Seattle for young women..? Who the hell knows?

I’ve always felt safer walking around BA alone and/or at night than in America cities, mostly because there are so many people out. Not sure if you already have your apartment, but I agree that it makes a big difference whether you are living on a quiet side street. I always use radio taxis so they can be traced. Make sure the driver knows you are paying attention to their name and cab number (note that they driver may not actually be the person the cab is licensed to). Be aware in bars with your drink as you would anywhere else.

Back