Is Brazil On A Come Back?

The dispute between Chile and us in 1979 was NOT about a piece of Pacific coastline, but about three small rocks at the mouth of the Beagle Channel. It was mainly to define how the neighboring waters should be split between they and us. The Church mediated that dispute and ruled about 70 % for us and the reminder for the Chileans.
And the uninhabited islands remained in Chile´s possession, as they always had been.

The Argies merely tried to redefine the Pacific as the Atlantic, so perhaps you're technically correct.

You know Chile and Argentina both dispute a HUGE chunk of Antarctica....but of course the argentines sent a pregnant lady there to give birth so they could claim sovereignty.....any truth to that? I mean I've read about it but did it actually happen?

That's true, but the Chileans also built an ostensible town on Isla Rey Jorge to justify their claims - even though all Antarctic claims are on hold by international agreement.

Argentina aspired to a Pacific Coast, but the Pope said no in 1979: http://en.wikipedia....Beagle_conflict

The polity that preceded Argentina, the United Provinces of the River Plate, indeed had a Pacific coast around Antofagasta. Argentina voluntarily ceded that territory to what was then Upper Peru, now Bolivia, which subsequently lost it to the Chileans during the War of the Pacific. Antofagasta became a Chilean city in 1879.
182315CS.jpg

http://www.euratlas.net/history/hisatlas/south_america/182315CS.jpg

In the 1920s Yrigoyen (the first democratically elected president of Argentina: a moderately populist germanophile) tried to extend the railways through the then territory of Los Andes (now Western Salta) into Chile and Antofagasta, but failed because of evil Anglo-American abuse as hybrid-san would say.

Regarding Brasil: Fascinating country. I've been to Rio and find it stunning but culturally very different from el Plata. Ive met southern Brasilians (south of Sao Paulo) in Uruguay and Rio Grande/ S Catarina and they are almost the exact same culture as el plata. perhaps less corrupt than Argentines and less averse to work than Uruguayans (Gerdau Steel!! or Curitiba, the best managed city on Earth) .

No first hand experience or news story however has opened my eyes to the fascinating albeit romantic nature of Brasil more than reading Sefan Zweig, Brasilien: ein land der zukunft!
He describes the country's long history of Dutch disease constant urgent need for manpower and tools, then machinery, now and ever ROADS.
Describing the Minas Gerais gold rush Stefan tell us how at time there was so much gold, so many prospectors and so little infrastructure that a hoe (in either interpretation) was worth its/her weight in gold! (metaphorically).
The gold rush was followed by the diamond rush, then coffee, sugar, then rubber, and at many occasions it's been and still is timber. On later years it's been oil. The highs and lows seem to conform a constant oscillation that almost defines the nature of Brasil as the ongoing conquering of a continent: the frontier remains open in Brasil:
The beautiful Embraer Bandeirante specifically and Brasil's Aerospace industry in general are reason enough to have high hopes in a people proud and resourceful enough to solve and profit from their immense challenges.

After migrating to Brasil and writing that book while still wearing the rose tinted glasses, Stefan Zweig wrote another book about his lost European homeland "The World that Was" and killed himself the day he finished it in a suburb of Rio. He shouldve gone to California instead, but his book and fate describe the double nature of Brasil so accurately and yet so romantically.

To sum it up, what Stefan Zweig describes in his super subjective history of Brasil is that it is a land of opportunity that is always on a comeback while heading to disaster

That's true, but the Chileans also built an ostensible town on Isla Rey Jorge to justify their claims - even though all Antarctic claims are on hold by international agreement.

Since when did any kind of international agreements ever stop an argentine from just "claiming it anyways"

Don't forget:

ericoldtime-1748143-albums-my-kentucky-family-pic122635-malvinas2.jpg

Since when did any kind of international agreements ever stop an argentine from just "claiming it anyways"

Don't forget:

ericoldtime-1748143-albums-my-kentucky-family-pic122635-malvinas2.jpg

I dont know if you meant this is as a jjoke or if this fake is a popular image I was not aware of, but just to clarify the original drawing clearly does not read I..Malv... or anything in Spanish. I don;t even recall whether Falkland Islands is written there by I swear Krusty explains "Don't Panic! The Argentinians have just invaded the Falkland Islands!"

Back