Is Cordoba an especial success story?

JSB

Registered
I find not only BA but Cordoba alluring as a possible escape from the crumbling USA. No doubt many of you have knowledge of that city and province, some from living there.

Is it true what Wikipedia says?

Cordoba has continued to prosper, despite left-wing violence in 1973, right-wing political interference in 1974, government atrocities in 1976-77, 1978-81 "free trade" policies that battered Cordoba's sizable industrial sector, the 1980s debt crisis and, of course, the recent acute financial crisis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Córdoba_Province_(Argentina)

If it is -- especially that last part -- are there any theories as to why?

I want it all! ¡Muchas gracias!

JSB in SC

You might want to consider Bariloche as well. Things are booming in these parts.

It is sort of accurate that Cordoba is a rich potential, although as everything in Argentina, that potential has still to be expanded. I personally like it and the interesting thing is that it has been kept out of the international/expat radar if you compare it to Patagonia and Mendoza. Cordoba doesn't have the Andes but the mountains over there (called Sierras de Cordoba) are quite nice although not that high (8000ft or 2500mt the highest approx). In some parts you still get some snow in the winter.

Cordoba city is comparable to Buenos Aires and it has a good airport with intl conections (Santiago, Montevideo, Panama with Copa-Continental, Rio-SAO). Then the areas of the Sierras (to the west of Cordoba city) is full with very quiet towns (Villa General Belgrano and La Cumbrecita are particularly beautiful).

So yes, I think it might be a good option and cheaper to other more popular areas in Argentina, but as it is always recommended in this forum, you might want to visit first before deciding relocating

Oh, yes -- can't wait! Thanks for those fast reports, incl. Bariloche even though it looks a bit too Southerly for my tastes.

Cordoba's inland location seems another plus. It's neither on the ring of fire nor the sometimes violent Atlantic, but not overly far from BA or Santiago either. Not that I insist on a safe, balmy life, but why look for trouble.

JSB said:
I find not only BA but Cordoba alluring as a possible escape from the crumbling USA. No doubt many of you have knowledge of that city and province, some from living there.

Is it true what Wikipedia says?

Cordoba has continued to prosper, despite left-wing violence in 1973, right-wing political interference in 1974, government atrocities in 1976-77, 1978-81 "free trade" policies that battered Cordoba's sizable industrial sector, the 1980s debt crisis and, of course, the recent acute financial crisis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B3rdoba_Province_(Argentina)

If it is -- especially that last part -- are there any theories as to why?

I want it all! ¡Muchas gracias!

JSB in SC

From your post I guess you are either from Southern California or South Carolina. I don't know when this entry was made in Wikipedia. It sounds out of date to me but I do not have any first hand knowledge of the Cordoba economic situation. The overall economic situation in Argentina is not good and I would bet the same is true for Cordoba. Argentina is experiencing the same problems other parts of the world are now experiencing, my guess is that in the end it will have more of a problem than other countries in the world.

I would caution you or anybody else planning on making a move for economic reasons to Argentina or any place else. Chances are you will find a situation that is worse, not better than you left. For example the per ca pita income in Argentina is around $10k, in the U.S. it's about $40k. If someone is going there for work their chances of getting a job there are slim, if you are extremely lucky and you do find a job you will be making much less than at home. Cost of living is somewhat lower but not enough lower to compensate for your much lower income.

My opinion is that if this is a real issue for you than you might want to consider other parts of the U.S. that aren't being that much affected by the economic situation. There are places in the U.S. where unemployment is still under 5%.

That is of course how everyone describes the economic situation -- but Soulskier writes above You might want to consider Bariloche as well. Things are booming in these parts. You have a point re the Wikipedia article -- turns out the acute financial crisis it mentions means the one before and after 2002:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_economic_crisis_(1999-2002)

This article has some rosy things to say (search surprising) but I guess they're all out the window now. Wikipedia isn't perfect but it's usually pretty up-to-date and far more accurate about non-controversial things than many people give it credit for.

JSB said:
That is of course how everyone describes the economic situation -- but Soulskier writes above You might want to consider Bariloche as well. Things are booming in these parts. You have a point re the Wikipedia article -- turns out the acute financial crisis it mentions means the one before and after 2002:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_economic_crisis_(1999-2002)

This article has some rosy things to say (search surprising) but I guess they're all out the window now. Wikipedia isn't perfect but it's usually pretty up-to-date and far more accurate about non-controversial things than many people give it credit for.

Bariloche is a nice area primarily for tourists. It may be booming in that respect although tourism to Argentina is down overall. Perhaps Soulskier will clarify. By boom I doubt he meant there were a lot of job opportunities for Americans thinking about coming to Argentina.

Good Luck on whatever you decide to do.

Thank you. I'm not necessarily looking for a job, I just want to be able to be able to live a reasonably quiet, stable life in nice surroundings. Sounds like any of the cities in question would do it if only they could stay as they are -- cost of living and political equanimity etc. I know that's asking a lot of any country in the world right now -- just wondered how accurate Wiki was on Cordoba for present and future purposes.

I mean Bariloche is booming in that three new 5 star hotels are being built, a Jack Nicholas Signature golf course is in the works, tourism was busy this summer (all our properties were around 85-90% full) and lots of money is being put into the area.

I echo Stanley's comments, coming to find work is not the right way to go. Creating a niche and ideally earning dollars, euros or pounds and living on pesos (currently 3.65 to 1 dollar) is the recipe for success.

Suerte!

I'm living in the Sierras de Córdoba, which in my opinion is a really beautiful area. But coming from the flat Netherlands, all areas with hills or mountains already seem nice to me. Then again, when my Argentinean wife and I decided to move to Argentina, we did not think much about where to move to. Córdoba province has it all, in our view at least.
It is central in Argentina, you do have a big city with all the facilities (airport, busstation, universities, very good hospitals, etc.), nature is everywhere, people are friendly and helpful..... I mean, ask any Argentinean about Cordoba and they will start to smile. I love it here.
Concerning jobs etcetera, I don't know that much about it, as I'm an independent person working from home. Córdoba city is like all big cities in Argentina, but without traffic jams in the rush hour and much less people than Buenos Aires. Cordoba has a strong industry (automotive, software, etc.). I do think the international crisis affects this region strongly too, especially because of it's dependence on the car industry and all related to that.

Back