Is Environmentalism going too far?

The point of this site is that in the main we are annonimous. Therefore we can speak the truth without becomming pariahs.
The green facists are taking over. Some sort of realism must take over or we really are all doomed. We build massive wind farms that barely cover the wasted energy neaded to transport the electricity to homes. Then we waste tons of energy and create massive land fills, scrapping cars so we can save mybe one or two mpg. Incidentally, has anyone calculated the enviromental cost of building and scrapping the batteries used in electric cars or hybribs? Certainly the biannual cost of batteries is equal to my fuel costs.
There are ways we can do more, there are ways we can save fuel and money, but unfortunately big business, governments, Al Gore (take your pick) don't make money from them.
If you want to save the enviroment, walk or cycle, wear extra clothing and turn down your heating, sit in the dark if you must, but do not force the rest of us into the stone age.

No, I think the question should be is Global Warming man-made?

Funny enough no one seem to agree with that statement (me neither).

This is a very good question, my question is...everyone talks 'Global warming' ...my question is... what about global dimming?

I'm not proposing an oppositional view to all the earlier posts, but I would be very curious to see others opinions on this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLfBXRPoHRc

The biggest mistake scientists / politicians ever made was to call it Global Warming. Now although many countries have finally moved away from the term and are using Climate Change as the standard, in the US I notice that the news still always says Global Warming.

They will never be able to win over the republicans, evangelists and climate change non-believers if it's continued to be called Global Warming. It's Climate Change, and it's not just warming that we have to worry about. Climate Change (not just warming) is happening, and what that means is that we're going to see more extreme weather patterns -- more hurricanes, more droughts, more flooding, and more and more violent storms (rain and or snow). It appears that we're going to see more fluctuation in temperatures and weather patterns in shorter time spans than has been the historical norm. The problem, apart from luxury mansions on the coast of California falling into the sea, could be that these more extreme weather patterns affect growing sesons for crops and put even more pressure on agricultural production than there already is.

The only thing that CAN control it's impact on the planet are humans -- animals can't, and the earth will continue, as one poster said, to belch out CO2 via it's volcanoes etc. So we're the only factor that can make an active effort to reduce our mark on the planet.

Is "Environmentalism" going too far? Well the problem with any activistic movement is that it's exactly that -- activistic. You always get the more extreme views on everything, never a balanced approach. While I think it's important to be trying to raise a generation of kids that reduces their use of resources and recycles, cleans up after themselves etc., I also don't think you need to be going into schools and making kids shit their pants imagining a tidal wave 20ft tall knocking them over when the sea levels rise! Kids imaginations can be pretty extreme and most can't imagine what 20 feet are, let alone grasp that this is something that will happen over years and years, not one day while they're writing their math test.

Unfortunately, especially in the States, you're also dealing with a population of whom something like 30% believe that the earth is only 3,000 years old and that humans sprung from the rib of Adam -- and to justify the fossil record say that we were all walking around with the dinosaurs (the Flintstones is a true story, didn't you know?).

How can you explain Climate Change to people that don't even believe in 600,000 years ago? Maybe with them you have to forget about showing the historical record and you DO need the extreme approach telling them that if they don't stop using saran wrap then in 20 years they'll be under 50 feet of water! It might be the only way to try and get through to them. (Although they'll just tell you that it's all signs of the Rapture approaching and you should learn to love Jesus or you won't be going up in the clouds with them).

Hey, I would never believe in bringing human and "dynosaur" in one time frame but how wrong I am: Religulous
There actually some folks who preaching about such muxture. I wonder how soon they'll discover nano-tech shoes for walking on the water.

But facts shown on the "Discovery" channel cannot be manipulated. When you see what happening with ocean water acidization and or appearence of these enormous jellyfishes; it should makes you think. Al Gore cannot produce such crap just for "his" campaign!!! Check for Alaska's permafrost meltdown, disappearence huge and old glaciers in Southern Chile, icepacks in Northern Seas arround North Pole - its crazy!!! And you boys are telling me all of this is just to get some shit in EPA controls to jack-up by car makers?? Jesus With Rusty Shmeisser!!!

pikto99 said:
But facts shown on the "Discovery" channel cannot be manipulated. When you see what happening with ocean water acidization and or appearence of these enormous jellyfishes; it should makes you think. Al Gore cannot produce such crap just for "his" campaign!!! Check for Alaska's permafrost meltdown, disappearence huge and old glaciers in Southern Chile, icepacks in Northern Seas arround North Pole - its crazy!!! And you boys are telling me all of this is just to get some shit in EPA controls to jack-up by car makers?? Jesus With Rusty Shmeisser!!!

the jellyfish are a result of over fishing thanks to the japanese.

the climate has been changing for millions of years.

Back