Is Free Education A Synonym For Equality?

Private education is synonym of inequality.

Want private education www.youtube.com or how about this www.google.com or many others. You are way to late in the game it is all literally free now as far as information is concerned. Work and study are another topic and you get what you pay for as far as what you are willing to sacrifice to be educated.

Inequity does not exist when the resources we have today as are available as they are. Keep tossing back the kool aid and excuses while people like me live the high life of educating ourselves with readily available free resources.

Want private education www.youtube.com or how about this www.google.com or many others. You are way to late in the game it is all literally free now as far as information is concerned. Work and study are another topic and you get what you pay for as far as what you are willing to sacrifice to be educated.

Inequity does not exist when the resources we have today as are available as they are. Keep tossing back the kool aid and excuses while people like me live the high life of educating ourselves with readily available free resources.
" people like me " not sure what that is supposed to mean. I can only tell you that there are not so remote places in this country where people do not have access to water so they do not have access to internet either. To be able to educate yourself using the internet you need to have at least high school level of literacy.

Education is by nature a private good. If the government funds it then it should provide some benefit to the society as a whole, which, inarguably it does. The question is in what amount, and I think here we've passed the balance point.

You might want to look up the definition of a private good in economics: it's not a private good by nature as it is non-rivalrous.

You might want to look up the definition of a private good in economics: it's not a private good by nature as it is non-rivalrous.

Really? Funding university for 1000 people has the same cost as educating 10 million? It is rival and it is clearly excludable.

Here's some free education: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_good - as you might realize education is a club good. And no, a university has a capacity, just like a cinema or a private park, but putting one student in a class doesn't automatically remove the possibility to add another one to the class - unlike real private goods. Non-rivalry is not about the cost of providing education for 1000 people vs the cost of providing it for 10 million - it's about the marginal production cost of adding 1 more student to the 10 million existing students.

As most of you have apparently already realized,I made a mistake in the title of this post.I meant to say,"Free UNIVERSITY education......".
Public school education up until the end of the secondary level should be provided by the state through taxation
The choice to use private education at any level is up to the individual
As Felipe Ganzalez one time prime minister of Spain once said when asked about some students having to pay tuition at Spain's universiies
" En España la educacion que es obligatoria es gratuita,la que no lo es,no es"
" In Spain education which is obligatory is free,while that which is not,is not ".

Here's some free education: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_good - as you might realize education is a club good. And no, a university has a capacity, just like a cinema or a private park, but putting one student in a class doesn't automatically remove the possibility to add another one to the class - unlike real private goods. Non-rivalry is not about the cost of providing education for 1000 people vs the cost of providing it for 10 million - it's about the marginal production cost of adding 1 more student to the 10 million existing students.

The marginal cost of a student is significant and non zero. It's a rival good because the professors time is finite. We're talking about university. Your "free education" offer via Wikipedia on the other hand is an example of a non rival good.

I can understand if you think it's a club good, I disagree, but regardless it's not a public good. You're still asking the entire populace to fund something which most directly benefits a select group. Which in the specific case of Argentina turns out to be a group of people who come from backgrounds of above average wealth. Which is what the lanacion column was about.

it's not a public good. You're still asking the entire populace to fund something which most directly benefits a select group

Former Chilean President Piñera said Once..." Free University Education? Nothing is FREE , all of us taxpayers pay for it to benefit an elite"

Tax funded university is a way to equality, however it is not free therefore there should be admission tests and maybe a year or set amount of hours that should be given back to society in the shape of volunteer work. As it is right now it helps some but it also becomes a deep dark hole where a lot of money and resources are wasted.

Tax funded university is a way to equality, however it is not free therefore there should be admission tests and maybe a year or set amount of hours that should be given back to society in the shape of volunteer work. As it is right now it helps some but it also becomes a deep dark hole where a lot of money and resources are wasted.

At UBA tuition is free but students at UBA la Plata need like $4000 p/month to survive , many students in the provincia de Bs. As 100 kmts away don't have that kind of money...! Free tuition yes... but housing , Food , insurance, books , clothing, etc..????

Back