Is homosexuality accepted in Argentina

marksoc said:
Family will always come first, and Argentinian girls still act as women (maybe that is way there is a lot less gay people here, and make no mistake, is not that they are closeted, there are simply less).

It is a bit like when Ahmadinejad said there were no gays living in Iran...
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hATGOzv6YSmgeMY1zdYbdpyrG2cw

Well, it might be that Argentinian girls act like women, Argentinian guys act like men, but then I can't figure out why there is such a huge amount of transvestites here...
:D

I don't know where you guys are from, but I have to disagree about the lack of tolerance. "Closeted" is not really such a tough verdict, relativity-wise talking.
The question was if homosexuality is accepted. I suppose "accepted" means different things to different people. IMHO, it is accepted here, what with the gay marriage law, the pubs and clubs, the chats I've had with people. Someone asked how many got married since the law passed - I just read 250 couples in the first two months, 60% being men, with little or nothing happening for gay marriages in the provinces of San Juan and San Luis, which are pretty Catholic-minded and conservative.
But then again, please don't equate "conservative" with "homophobic". I've seen how people behave in homophobic countries (try Greece, or Central Europe etc - and that's EU, mind you) and Argies are a long way from that.
I guess it also depends who you're talking to. I read Starlucia's comment and was surprised - I didn't see that much of the macho homophobic approach in my conversations with young people here, actually most of them seemed pretty open minded regarding sexuality. Some guys were not completely comfortable talking about gays, but they didn't utter harsh or stupid words either.

Im always surprised that the experiences of some of the posters are so different from mine. I believe homosexuality is accepted,is very common to see girls/women holding hands/kissing in public and i have never felt any dissaproval when I did exactly that. Don't know, maybe we frequent different people, and is not like im in the super underground social circles.

marksoc said:
Family will always come first, and Argentinian girls still act as women (maybe that is way there is a lot less gay people here, and make no mistake, is not that they are closeted, there are simply less).

Family coming first is something a lot of people in Argentina say. It is true, a lot of people say it, but I don't see the quality of relationships being any "better" than in the US, as an example.

Anyways, back to being gay: Argentina is the only country I've ever lived in (granted I've only lived in 4) where for every 15 men who have made passes at me, one woman has. So, after ten years, that makes a grand total of:

15 men who have hit on me vs 1 woman!

Out of 15 men, at least half were still in the placard.

So, in my opinion, and fortunately for Argentina, there is as much reason to celebrate diversity here as there is anywhere else.

Yes, I know, it hurts sometimes when everybody doesn't eat the same things, think the same things, and talk about the same things, but think of it as an opportunity to grow!

Now, as for Argentinian girls (or do you mean women) still "acting" like women, what could that possibly mean?

Back