Is It Finally Possible To Be A Legal Freelancer?

I don't know of or have even heard of any temporary residents of Argentina who have the visa rentista or pensionado who pay taxes on their foreign income in Argentina. Someone who has temporary residency based on these categories may also have clients outside of Argentina who pay for some type of service, but I've never heard of anyone paying taxes on that "income" in Argentina, either.

I am a monotributista and have a rentista visa and my accountant here has always told me that I had to pay taxes on my worldwide income here i.e. also on income from foreign clients. I now have a permanent visa but this was also case with the temporary visa.

By the way I am not from the US and being a resident here I do not have to declare income in my 'home' country

The new post-cepo rules don't automatically convert dollars to pesos according to this article, unless I've misread it.
http://www.lanacion....ias-operaciones

Indeed, but:

"Según explicaron en el BCRA, quienes traigan dólares (declarados) del exterior ya no tienen la obligación de pesificarlos localmente, a no ser que se trate de una operación de comercio exterior. Pero no sería el caso de quien repatríe dólares para una operación inmobiliaria, para ahorro o simplemente para algún gasto local."

Since OP would be paid for services it would be considered a "comercio exterior" operation within the bank, and he would need to go to the bank in person and fill out a "Solicitud de Liquidación" as someone else here pointed out. He would then receive his funds in pesos.

Quite often, migraciones and the tax office are two separate entity. In the us, an illegal worker should file his taxes like anyone else.

It's not migraciones' job to make sure that you pay your taxes.
And it's not the tax office s job to make sure that you re legal.

Normally when you are resident somewhere, you get taxed on your income worldwide unless your money goes in a tax haven where there s no information disclosed to you country of residence. (It doesn't make it legal...that's still dirty money in most cases)

Quite often, migraciones and the tax office are two separate entity. In the us, an illegal worker should file his taxes like anyone else.

It's not migraciones' job to make sure that you pay your taxes.
And it's not the tax office s job to make sure that you re legal.

Normally when you are resident somewhere, you get taxed on your income worldwide unless your money goes in a tax haven where there s no information disclosed to you country of residence. (It doesn't make it legal...that's still dirty money in most cases)

The only comment I'd make about the bolded portion is that you cannot pay personal taxes without a CUIL or CUIT. You can't get a CUIL or CUIT without a DNI. Note I'm not talking about property taxes or car taxes (patente) or other things for which one can get a CDI as a foreigner.

The only comment I'd make about the bolded portion is that you cannot pay personal taxes without a CUIL or CUIT. You can't get a CUIL or CUIT without a DNI. Note I'm not talking about property taxes or car taxes (patente) or other things for which one can get a CDI as a foreigner.
You can get both CUIL and CUIT without a DNI. But you need a certificate from migrations (for example the certificate that you have residencia precaria or transitoria). https://www.afip.gob.ar/genericos/guiavirtual/consultas_detalle.aspx?id=4576912 I got a CUIL myself months before I got my final residency and DNI. The CUIL and CUIT will change once you get your DNI, though. So if you have to go through a lot of paperwork again at that point to get everything updated to the new number.

and to bring more confusion to the matter.... i've also heard that a tourist can obtain a dni if he really wants to (not sure what would be the point though)
but yeah, you can get a CUIL/CUIT without a DNI. The DNI is actually optional from my understanding. on my second year, migraciones gave me a proroga (careful about saying poronga when talking to official people...) and then applying for my new DNI was a different tramite done in a different location.

Once you're in the Argentine tax labyrinth, you can never leave, as The Eagles once pointed out to us, so helpfully.

You can get both CUIL and CUIT without a DNI. But you need a certificate from migrations (for example the certificate that you have residencia precaria or transitoria). https://www.afip.gob...aspx?id=4576912 I got a CUIL myself months before I got my final residency and DNI. The CUIL and CUIT will change once you get your DNI, though. So if you have to go through a lot of paperwork again at that point to get everything updated to the new number.
You're right, I misspoke - I meant to say residency, which leads to a DNI (or at least so I thought).

In fact, the link you mentioned says "En el caso planteado en el párrafo anterior se entiende que son residentes quienes posean algún tipo de residencia (permanente, temporaria, transitoria, precaria, etc.) para poder ejercer actividad en el país."

You have to have some form of residency. I thought all forms of residency lead to having a DNI but maybe not. But the way I read the whole article, it seemed to be saying that in the case you don't have a DNI (i.e., you had a precaria and haven't gotten the actual DNI yet, or maybe the DNI was lost) you could get a certification from immigrations stating that you were a resident. However, maybe there is a kind of residency that allows you to work without having to get a DNI (transitoria?).

So, what I meant by my original post is that you have to be able to have some kind of residency to be able to work here. Bakazoo, I've heard the same thing about tourists being able to get a CUIT/CUIL but have never met anyone, or heard of anyone, who has been able to do so.

Exactly. Residency is the requirement for a CUIT. CUIT is required for Monotributo.

Back