Is Mendoza Nice?

Thanks to all the answers. I guess I wanted to live in a nice small town with nature. And not pay through my nose for it. I was just looking in Chile close to the Valdivia Puyehue national park and the prices are astronomical. I might check out Mendoza, San Luis, San Juan. If anyone has other suggestions please tell me. I was wondering

Come to San Martin de los Andes. Though cold season is coming (ski season end of June to September). We have an airbnb which in low season can rent per month, which is about the value of high season per week. Camel stayed there.
There is no place in Argentina comparable to Spain, different country, culture, history, nature, economy. Argentina is no longer cheap, doesn't matter where you go, but at least we have a tiny town with all services and nature all around.

Come to San Martin de los Andes. Though cold season is coming (ski season end of June to September). We have an airbnb which in low season can rent per month, which is about the value of high season per week. Camel stayed there.
There is no place in Argentina comparable to Spain, different country, culture, history, nature, economy. Argentina is no longer cheap, doesn't matter where you go, but at least we have a tiny town with all services and nature all around.

Wasn't looking for Spain clone, but just meant something similar...a small town with beach or nature but that still is nice and not a dump like I heard most of Puerto Madryn is...

I'll check out San Martin de los Andes.

Why is Argentina no longer cheap? Has their economy really improved so much?

Wasn't looking for Spain clone, but just meant something similar...a small town with beach or nature but that still is nice and not a dump like I heard most of Puerto Madryn is...

I'll check out San Martin de los Andes.

Why is Argentina no longer cheap? Has their economy really improved so much?

Puerto Madryn is not safe, either. Argentinians started buying holiday homes there and the locals started robbing them. We went on holidays to Peninsula Valdés last spring and on TripAdvisor it said that they steal rental cars in the parking of the Museum of Puerto Madryn (I really wanted to visit it, but not in exchange of a nightmare during a 4-day holiday).

Btw, PuertoMadryn is not nice. It has a huge port, but it is another Argentinian city by the sea. Puerto Pyramides is nice, on the other way, however it has often water supply issues and electricity issues. Especially in low season. The place is not cheap, either.

San Martin de los Andes is the most expensive place I've ever been to in Argentina. Also best ice cream. maybe you should look into Villa Traful.

Puerto Madryn is not safe, either. Argentinians started buying holiday homes there and the locals started robbing them. We went on holidays to Peninsula Valdés last spring and on TripAdvisor it said that they steal rental cars in the parking of the Museum of Puerto Madryn (I really wanted to visit it, but not in exchange of a nightmare during a 4-day holiday).

Btw, PuertoMadryn is not nice. It has a huge port, but it is another Argentinian city by the sea. Puerto Pyramides is nice, on the other way, however it has often water supply issues and electricity issues. Especially in low season. The place is not cheap, either.

San Martin de los Andes is the most expensive place I've ever been to in Argentina. Also best ice cream. maybe you should look into Villa Traful.

I never found BsAs much cheaper than SMA, outside Chnatown that is. At least in SMA we still have the 30% discount on gasoline (which is needed because of distances). I loved Puerto Pyramides, laid back, but not cheap, either. I would not know of any 'cheap' place left in Argentina, for those of us relying on foreign income, real costs have literally doubled in a year.

I never found BsAs much cheaper than SMA, outside Chnatown that is. At least in SMA we still have the 30% discount on gasoline (which is needed because of distances). I loved Puerto Pyramides, laid back, but not cheap, either. I would not know of any 'cheap' place left in Argentina, for those of us relying on foreign income, real costs have literally doubled in a year.

Can anyone explain why this is happening? Usually costs go up if the economy improves a lot, is this the case? Also why would costs go up for people on foreign income? I thought the dollar was stronger now...wouldn't I live better in Argentina on dollars than I did before?

Can anyone explain why this is happening? Usually costs go up if the economy improves a lot, is this the case? Also why would costs go up for people on foreign income? I thought the dollar was stronger now...wouldn't I live better in Argentina on dollars than I did before?

How much time do you have for an answer? ;). we have all been trying to answer this question for the past few years!

You mentioned that you love the towns around San Sebastián. I'm planning a trip there. Any recommendations of where to stay? In the city or close by?

How much time do you have for an answer? ;). we have all been trying to answer this question for the past few years!

You mentioned that you love the towns around San Sebastián. I'm planning a trip there. Any recommendations of where to stay? In the city or close by?

DM me and I'll write you later today. Unfortunately San Sebastian and the adjacent towns are not cheap...much more so in Galicia or Asturias. Basque country is quite developed and expensive. But I can give suggestions of which parts of the city you might like and also the food and other things I liked there. If you can rent a car and drive around the area you'd have more fun.

I split my time between BsAs and Mendoza for many years, but have lived only in Mendoza for 5 years. For me it's great. Much more laid-back than BsAs and a good vibe. I have rental connections if you want to PM me. FWIW, I would never consider San Juan or San Luis compared with Mendoza...
Could you explain why in a little more detail please?

Last edited:
Back