Is the Argentine Economy Going to Collapse?

Hey 2GuysInPM... I wanted to thank you for your post on PM. It was nice to see a balanced and accepting review of other people's not so nice postings on your hood. I think you handled that exrememly well.

preuben said:
I'm an avid reader of the Economist as well as other reliable sources of news worthy outlets.

"The Economist" is not reliable. it is skewed and biased -- but just not as much as the "Wall Street Journal." On the other hand, the quarterly "Country Intelligence Reports" produced by the Economist Intelligence Unit are a different matter altogether.

harpo said:
I'm no apologist for the US; I'm not even American, but to suggest the country is in thrall to some sort of spooky conspiracy is frankly fanciful.

Why so fanciful? New evidence -- were any needed -- between high finance and the US government comes to light every day. The US government is nothing but conspiracy piled upon conspiracy. The leading position it has acquired in the world and the way it has maintained it have relied almost exclusively on conspiracy and subterfuge. The only ones who think otherwise are brainwashed Americans who have never been outside the USA.

Speaking as a non-American who has travelled most of the world, I have little time for conspiracy theories.

Sure, the US (or any other nation and most individuals) would like to get its way by almost any means; I only question the ability. Most people are stupid - and that includes most people in government and banking - look at the mess they've just got us into. Like the rest of us, they just bodge along from day to day, never quite in control, never knowing quite what is going on. Conspiracies tend to unravel in farce - 'hey guys, let's make Castros beard fall out - that should stop world communism'.

It's cock-up rather than conspiracy in nearly all cases; conspiracies, like Watergate, tend to come trying to desperately hide a cock-up.

Incidentally after my post wondering why the US succeeded while Argentina didn't, I found this link to a Financial Times piece in the Articles section here.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/778193e4-44d8-11de-82d6-00144feabdc0.html

An intelligent analysis which suggests it was the way land was first owned by the settlers (or grabbed from the natives), that made the original difference.

... or perhaps a shadowy world government run by the evil Dr K is responsible for all our woes. I think I saw that in a James Bond movie.

Just an add on to Fedecc: don't forget about the government pension fund that was stolen by the current government and the two Argentine companies that were just nationalized in Venezuela with Cristina's blessing. This was her way of paying Chavez back for the money he gave to help her win the election.

Harleygirl said:
Just an add on to Fedecc: don't forget about the government pension fund that was stolen by the current government and the two Argentine companies that were just nationalized in Venezuela with Cristina's blessing. This was her way of paying Chavez back for the money he gave to help her win the election.

Harleygirl I think you are reading to much newspapers as La Nacion, Clarin, Infobae or Perfil. Those papers are very hostile to the government and actually what they inform is just misinformation, please change the reading habits.

On the situation of why Argentina blah...blah..blah...and USA, did not make it...I partially agree with Alan Beattie on his views of why all this happened as written in his book:

"False Economy" -interview on his book-

The basics were settled from the beginning....unfortunately for Argentina it started on the wrong foot.

Yes, the interview is basically a brief summary of his Financial Times article.

He does make the point that although Argentina started on the wrong foot by having an 'aristocracy' of large landowners, it was a series of decisions leading on from that that led to the country's decline. None of this was inevitable, but Christina and co seem intent on making the same mistakes all over again - i.e being oligarchical, isolationist and hostile to business.

Back