Is there a historical tour of BA in English?

arlean

Registered
Hi everybody. I'm not exactly new. I have lived in BA for the past year. I'm really interested in Argentina and/or Buenos Aires history. Does anyone know if there is an English language tour where the guide tells details about the history?

I know there is a lot of history in San Telmo--such an interesting old area-- and I saw the bullet holes in the building near the Casa Rosada and other things like that. I have a couple of history books but don't read spanish that well yet.

Arlean

Carla at Buenos Aires Historico is a good choice for gaining insights into the history of BA

http://buenosaireshistorico.com/english.html

Eternautas is another very excellent option.

http://www.eternautas.com/en/tours.aspx

I have taken tours offered by both of these agencies and learned a great deal....

For example..the Recoleta Cemetery tour offered by Historico focuses on things a you will not learn on a self guided or "standard" tour--Irish tombs and the history of the Irish in Argentina or Masonic Symbolism on various tombs and the role of the Masons in Argentine history. One of the specialized tours I took with Eternautas focused on the history of Islam and Judiasm in Argentina and the relationship between the two groups before and after the bombings of Jewish sites in the early 90's....another with architectural history and trends.....fascinating stuff....

Thought of another one...a history of tango tour brought up some interesting information about the role of a 19th Century Jewish mafia in trafficking women as sex workers and the influence of African music on Tango....

find the blog Line of Sight, Robert has tons of info on Recoleta and also the architecture of BA

Hia

We went to the Casa Rosada on a Sunday the other day. They give great historical tours in both English and Spanish. You can find our why it is called Rosada. The tours are free, and very educational. They may also be on Saturdays as well.

Back