Is this story true..

I compiled a table to compare crime levels in Buenos Aires and some american cities.The data are for 2005 Sources:
USA:
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_06.html#c
Argentina:
http://wwwpolcrim.jus.gov.ar/Snic/A%F1o2005/provincia/SnicCiudadBsAs2005.htm

<table>
<tr><td></td></tr>
</table>

City
Population
Murders
per 20,000
Property Crime
per 1000

New York

Washington DC

Atlanta

Houston

Los Angeles

Buenos Aires

Seattle

Denver

Boston

Philadelphia

Phoenix

San Diego

In 157 murders I included what is called what is called "Homicidios dolosos" and "Homicidios dolosos en grado de tentativa" in the report. Traffic related deaths are not included. Probably "Homicidios culposos por otros hechos" are involuntary manslaughters. They are not included either.
I assume definitions of different property crime types are different and depend on average income level and other factors, so there is no direct comparison.

I believe in my perceptions. Especially if they are confirmed by statistics.

This surprises me. I had thought the homicide rate would be higher in New York. The statistics you report place it at just about the same rate per 20,000 people. I'd be willing to bet that most of those murders occurred in marginal neighborhoods that tourists normally never enter. I am not surprised about the Washington or Atlanta figures - these are depressed cities with overwlelmingly poor populations and a myriad of social problems. I go by perception and experience first, then statistics. My perception of Washongton has always been that it can be a dangerous city, especially when you move away from the tourist areas and after the sun sets. My experience in Washington supports this. I have spent very little time in Atlanta however my perception is that it is unsafe. Your figures support this. My original point was that violent crime in cities like New York tends to take place in marginal neighborhoods, much less so in areas comparable to the best in BA. Washington and Atlanta are largely improverished cities - at least by US standards - so this supports my point.

I added a couple more cities to the table.
"sergio" said:
Washington and Atlanta are largely improverished cities - at least by US standards - so this supports my point.
Are Denver, Boston and Phoenix also impoverished cities? The way I see it from the data - situation in BA is somewhat worse than in Seattle and San Diego, comparable to New York and better than pretty much everywhere else.

It is excellent to see the statistics. Thanks Igor

"sergio" said:
This surprises me. I had thought the homicide rate would be higher in New York.
Used to be higher: I think 2,000 a year was par for the course in NYC a quarter of a century back. But perhaps Giuliani was successful in curbing violent crime, and perhaps US homicides have declined a bit -- don't really know.
I am not surprised about the Washington or Atlanta figures - these are depressed cities with overwlelmingly poor populations and a myriad of social problems. I go by perception and experience first, then statistics. My perception of Washington has always been that it can be a dangerous city, especially when you move away from the tourist areas and after the sun sets. My experience in Washington supports this. I have spent very little time in Atlanta however my perception is that it is unsafe.
Atlanta is bad. Washington is worse.
Your figures support this. My original point was that violent crime in cities like New York tends to take place in marginal neighborhoods, much less so in areas comparable to the best in BA. Washington and Atlanta are largely improverished cities - at least by US standards - so this supports my point.
That's what "white flight" is all about -- "ethnic minorities" live in segregated inner-city areas where they're free to wreak havoc among themselves. Suburbs have conscientious police who round up anyone who looks suspicious. Everyone travels by car. And there are no public spaces left -- the malls are private property, so riff-raff can be booted out with impunity. But these same conditions of geographic isolation and privatisation of social spaces don't exist in Buenos Aires, and hence anyone can be a victim of crime (violent or otherwise).
Incidentally, Medellin (Colombia) now has a homicide rate lower than those of Washington, Detroit, or Baltimore.

Back