Is this the right time to buy a property in Argentina?

I do find it silly that properties are sold in Dollars when there are perfectly good Pesos that can be used. Thanks for the link although i've received dozens of emails in the past week from a few inmobiliarias telling me the same thing.

Lucas said:
Don't you fear, Cristina is here....

New trends..

The Real Estate agents began the 'pesification' of home sales ->click<

Four real estate business groups decided to apply 'pesified' rates in the sale.
Thus deciding to bet on the Argentine peso to keep pace in the activity.

Property prices will be in pesos soon and for those who want dollars for their sale better sell their properties quickly before this law changes in the New Year .

Remax Argentina has been informed that by May 2012 this will come into effect by law.

Perry, can you pls elaborate on this. When I bought a property here it was priced in dollars but I paid in pesos. Do many people actually pay in dollar bills, is this what will change? Although now in pesos, will prices sill be set according to the dollar exchange rate or do you think property could be at threat of devaluation along with the currency? Thnx!

All the Argentinian " investors " are trying to squeeze every last dollar out of the market before it becomes " pesified ". I was looking at property prices in Las Canitas today with Interwin. HAHAHAHA. They were trying to sell me pre construction apartments at 4000-5000 Dollars a sq meter. I almost laughed in their face. If this greed keeps up, I can see the bubble bursting soon.

perry said:
Property prices will be in pesos soon and for those who want dollars for their sale better sell their properties quickly before this law changes in the New Year .

Remax Argentina has been informed that by May 2012 this will come into effect by law.

There are so many existing places for sale now, the market is flooded.
Feels like a buyers market to me. Wouldn't be suprised if sale prices fall before May if people want to sell to get their USD. They may still ask a set price but accept a lot less.

Yes this law will come into effect in the next months and for those who are foreign residents and own property here this is the best time to sell if you wish to obtain dollars for your property .

Carverfan there are few property owners who wish to obtain pesos for their sale . In 5 years of doing business here there was not one sale that was in pesos . Dollars seem to be the preferred currency for the local market

All, I'm in my home city of Salt Lake City, Utah and just purchased a 2987 square foot, 4 bedroom, 3 full bath, .45 acre lot, newly remodeled home with an additional bath/bed/living in the basement in one of the nicest areas in Salt Lake City for 285,000.

For that I could get a 1 bedroom in Puerto Madero, a small (800 square ft), 2 bedroom apt in a shitty building in Palermo, and a 2 bedroom (1000 square ft) apt in a nicer building in Nunez.

I think anyone would be insane to buy any property in Buenos Aires (Capital) right now. If you want an investment property...the US housing market is a buyers HEAVEN!!

(SLC is not even the worst hit housing area in the U.S. In Las Vegas you can buy a 4 bedroom house for 150K)

arlean said:
Victor gave you good advice about areas, etc., and I will give my opinion about other stuff. I rent in BA. I could buy if I want to. In fact, I have considered it. I talked with my friend here, a property owner who is an attorney, and her response was, "I think now is the time to sell, not buy."

That is my feeling as well though no one has a crystal ball. Rents in BA do not reflect the purchase price. If I went by the rule of thumb for rentals I would be paying $1,500 a month for my apartment. I pay about a third of that. That usually indicates purchase prices are too high. Montevideo, across the river, has much more reasonable real estate if you want to buy. It is a European type town, nothing is wrong with it, prices are much more reasonable--in fact, Argentines are keeping lawyers busy over there--buying and pushing up prices! But some of us just like Argentina, and you might be one of those. I personally prefer Buenos Aires. But plenty of people prefer Montevideo! It's a personal matter.

If you decide to buy here, checking out the newspaper and looking for private sellers is probably best and by all means offer less. The best way to buy here (and perhaps anywhere) is to move to the area, don't be in a hurry (as someone else wisely advised) and take your time. Make offers (if you still want to) and eventually you'll find what you want. Or so I think anyway.
Nothing wrong with Montevideo???...well until you die of boredom. There is no comparison between the joy of BA and the dessert of MV!!!!

perry said:

Fantastic, I hope you are right!!!! Find me something lovely please Perry!!!!

JWB said:
All, I'm in my home city of Salt Lake City, Utah and just purchased a 2987 square foot, 4 bedroom, 3 full bath, .45 acre lot, newly remodeled home with an additional bath/bed/living in the basement in one of the nicest areas in Salt Lake City for 285,000.

For that I could get a 1 bedroom in Puerto Madero, a small (800 square ft), 2 bedroom apt in a shitty building in Palermo, and a 2 bedroom (1000 square ft) apt in a nicer building in Nunez.

I think anyone would be insane to buy any property in Buenos Aires (Capital) right now. If you want an investment property...the US housing market is a buyers HEAVEN!!

(SLC is not even the worst hit housing area in the U.S. In Las Vegas you can buy a 4 bedroom house for 150K)

Fine if you don't have to live there....misery if you do!!!

Back