Is this the right time to buy a property in Argentina?

Hi,
I am planning to buy a PH in Buenos Aires, not in Recoleta or Palermo, somewhere a bit cheaper but still near a subte station.

An escribano told me the following on purchase costs:
2.5% - shared between the buyer and seller
0.2% for the inscription (registration?) of the sale
2 % fees to the escribano - paid by the buyer.

IF these figures are correct, the % costs are more or less like buying in Paris or I suppose Holland.

There is also the martillero (real estate agent). If I understand well, he/she can charge 4% but this varies/is negotiable. It seems that the buyer and the seller may each have a martillero. I don´t plan to use one - I am doing the research on internet sites, but most properties on the sites (except for solo_duenos) are advertised by RE agencies, so I suppose that most sellers work through an agency and pay the 4% or whatever they can negotiate. I don´t think you have to employ a martillero but I admit to being rather ignorant as to what they do - I think the escribano does the legal stuff

Aside from the fees, an important issue relates to the FIP (taxation etc). I am told that you have to be able to justify the source of money in excess of 500000 pesos (less than that can be presented as personal savings). If your work is informally reimbursed, or if you have cash USD that you don´t keep in a bank, this could be difficult.

I am told that w.e.f. November, a new law will come into effect absolutely requiring sales to be transacted in pesos. At the moment, the prices are mostly in USD and in some cases 50:50 USD and pesos. After this law comes into effect, I am told, you will have to be able to prove where you got all your pesos, which could be difficult, especially for those who change USD in the unofficial channels. What really sucks is that the peso price (´they say´) will reflect the blue exchange rate (one thing to ask, another thing to find a buyer...)

I haven´t found much on this new law since about June this year and I would be interested to hear if anyone more authoritative information on this.

As to location, beware of barrios where the streets flood every 6-7 years!

Best of luck, Sarah

Hi,
I am planning to buy a PH in Buenos Aires, not in Recoleta or Palermo, somewhere a bit cheaper but still near a subte station.

An escribano told me the following on purchase costs:
2.5% - shared between the buyer and seller
0.2% for the inscription (registration?) of the sale
2 % fees to the escribano - paid by the buyer.

IF these figures are correct, the % costs are more or less like buying in Paris or I suppose Holland.

There is also the martillero (real estate agent). If I understand well, he/she can charge 4% but this varies/is negotiable. It seems that the buyer and the seller may each have a martillero. I don´t plan to use one - I am doing the research on internet sites, but most properties on the sites (except for solo_duenos) are advertised by RE agencies, so I suppose that most sellers work through an agency and pay the 4% or whatever they can negotiate. I don´t think you have to employ a martillero but I admit to being rather ignorant as to what they do - I think the escribano does the legal stuff

Aside from the fees, an important issue relates to the FIP (taxation etc). I am told that you have to be able to justify the source of money in excess of 500000 pesos (less than that can be presented as personal savings). If your work is informally reimbursed, or if you have cash USD that you don´t keep in a bank, this could be difficult.

I am told that w.e.f. November, a new law will come into effect absolutely requiring sales to be transacted in pesos. At the moment, the prices are mostly in USD and in some cases 50:50 USD and pesos. After this law comes into effect, I am told, you will have to be able to prove where you got all your pesos, which could be difficult, especially for those who change USD in the unofficial channels. What really sucks is that the peso price (´they say´) will reflect the blue exchange rate (one thing to ask, another thing to find a buyer...)

I haven´t found much on this new law since about June this year and I would be interested to hear if anyone more authoritative information on this.

As to location, beware of barrios where the streets flood every 6-7 years!

Best of luck, Sarah

I sold my apartment in Buenos Aires just before the dolar restrictions started, thank god. The paperworks for a sale as a foreigner at AFIP these days are unbelivable. This is the time for the goverment to charge you all the extra.... Yes, you need to show them how the money came in to Argentina (the white way) or you will have to pay a penalty. You also need to show ALL your electricity and gas bills from the very begining to the end (you can request a list from the company) together with your imigration reports (save all your passports or you will have to stay in line at imigrations for at least a day to get a report on your stays in Argentina). Some AFIP offices will accept your passport to verify your stays. Having provided them this and a lot more they will spend weeks on looking at the electricity/gas consumption comparing it to your stays. If you have any consumption out of your stays they will take for granted that you have subletted the apartment and fine levy additional taxes and penalty taxes with interest rate. There are no way to avoid it, if you start a war you will only lose time and never get the certificate to be able to sell. In these cases it is much better to present two independet real estate estimations on the rent (for an argentine renting that is) before AFIP decide one for you. Even if you have not been doing sublettings (having had friends in the apartment) it will be very difficult to avoid this tax - if not impossible. More questions will arrive and more imigration reports needs to be collected (remember that the stated adress in the imigration paper needs to be the same as the property). Get an accountant as quick as possible to file all your taxes from the first day is a god advice that will save you some time when selling in the future. I know this is not something you are thinking of when you are buying, but it should be included. Paying taxes are something you will have to do yourself, there will be no reminders/letters from AFIP regarding taxes. Those who do not pay will end up paying penalty and huge interest rates.

thanks Sarah and Medhell,
Medhell, if I understand you correctly: let's say I buy a flat and live there 2 or 3 months a year, during the rest of the year I rent it for short term. Do I have to pay taxes about this? How much would that be?

Let s say you have a flat and rent it out furnished:

1)You pay 1,25% asset tax over the fiscal value
2)Over the rental income 35% over 60% of the rentalvalue; if you would rent:
for 1000 monthly, 400 are considera costs and over the other 600 you pay 35% .......

except if you can prove you was there with pasoport stamps and or you utilities have no consume......

mariano-BCN said:
thanks Sarah and Medhell,
Medhell, if I understand you correctly: let's say I buy a flat and live there 2 or 3 months a year, during the rest of the year I rent it for short term. Do I have to pay taxes about this? How much would that be?

The official tax rate is 35% less expenses.AFIP allow you to pay 21%, to save having to keep detailed accounts. All rents received by non residents are taxable.

Thanks Sarah and Medhell,
Medhell, if I understand you correctly: let's say I buy a flat and live there 2 or 3 months a year, during the rest of the year I rent it for short term. Do I have to pay taxes about this? How much would that be?[/quote

Just like you I lived in my apartment 2-3 month a year myself and did sublettings to foreigners during the rest of the year.

In the past AFIP did not make an effort to claim taxes on rental incomes. This has changed. Foreigners are treated differently at AFIP when selling their properties. AFIP realized that taxes on non-residential rental incomes are a mayor contribution to the goverment, adding penalties and interest rates. Lots of foreigners are selling these days and few are buying, afraid of the "pesofication" etc. The process at AFIP is at least 6 weeks to get the certificate to be able to sell. Some foreigners pay property taxes (like I did with my accountant) but few pay taxes on rental incomes. Anotherbig thing at AFIP now is asking how the money came in to Argentina, as you will have to pay if it didn´t enter the white way. As I explained earlier you will be taxed 21% up on an estimated rental income (on the argentine rental market in pesos) if they spot at least some cunsumption of gas/electricity and use of phone for the period you have not been in the country. They will spend weeks looking for cunsumption and evidence of sublettings. A clever accountant might save you money by yearly paying some taxes on rental income - but how much is up to you.

I agree with Medhill. It was a good time to sell before the last elections. Since the restrictions have come in having property in Argentina looks like hard work. Moving your money around has become too difficult, or impossible. There are just too many risks involved and too much hassle. When the prices were low, up to around five years ago, it may have been worth it. I would say forget buying and just rent unless you want to never leave Argentina and need a home.

SarahAnn said:
Hi,

Hi Sarah, I sent you a PM with more info. Our PH is on the market. Thought it wouldn't hurt to share with the rest of you as well, if anyone knows of anyone looking for a PH:

https://picasaweb.google.com/105606...uthkey=Gv1sRgCJnxoI3Who6P8gE&feat=directlink#

Viamonte 2000 between Ayacucho and Junin
You can PM me for more info. Thanks.

My Argentina lawyer, whom I respect a lot, owns rental real estate all over here, told me not to buy now. He said you never buy in Argentina in the inflation run-up, you wait and buy during the crisis. I submit this for whatever it's worth. There seems to be disagreement with that on this forum. Some Argentines think the crisis this time won't be that bad. Oh for a crystal ball.

I just know for dairy cream the carton I paid 8.50 pesos for the first of the year is now 15 pesos. I think there's going to be a serious crisis.

Back