Issues with Coto shopping

I brought a jacket on Wednesday. Did not have my passport when asked Went back to apartment for my passport and when paid i was not asked for it the 2nd time. I don't like bringing my passport around with me. Never had this issue in any other country. Had to use my pin so should not be an issue.

As LP Hartley famously didn't say: Argentina is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

I was always paying with cash, and never anyone asked me my dni. Few weeks ago in interior I paid with a foreign card and issue appeared. Since all my documents were far away, they were satisfied with passport on phone, but obviously foreigners are so rare here, supervisor finished the transaction. It came to me as software demand, workers were only worried all will be processed correctly, not if I'm actually the person behind credit card. In caba I prefer to skip purchase than parade around with passport..

An unusual experience at Coto? Today, after leaving the gym (Megatlon Villa Crespo), I stopped by the Coto supermercado at Av. Corrientes 5748, where I shop often. When I got to the checkout counter, the woman there asked me to open my gym bag so that she could inspect it (I've never experienced that before). And she refused to accept my Banco Ciudad Visa debit card unless I showed her my passport!

I have lived in Buenos Aires since June and had my application for temporary residency approved as of August (although the government still hasn't issued my DNI number). I am used to be asked for an ID card if I am using my US Visa card. I present my New York City drivers license, which has always been accepted at Coto and at Jumbo and other stores in the past. When I asked why I had to present a passport, I was told that is standard practice.

Eventually, after I complained and asked to speak to the store manager, they agreed to accept my US Visa credit card this time. But I was told that in the future, they would not accept payment from me unless I presented a passport.

I rarely carry my passport around with me for fear it might be stolen some day (my iPhone was stolen from the front pocket of my jeans on the sidewalk some weeks ago). I guess I won't be able to make any spontaneous purchases at Coto in the future. And now I'm wondering if Jumbo and other outlets like Carrefour are doing this. Has anyone else experienced this

Hello:

Attachments

• 983BD6BD-D547-43DD-8D16-714F2FF6CF9B.jpeg
    983BD6BD-D547-43DD-8D16-714F2FF6CF9B.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 25
Every time I use the local debit card must show DNI. Coto will not accept a laminated color copy..?
The few times I paid at Coto with a US credit card, was asked to show my passport.

They pulled this crap with me too and demanded to see my passport for a 2000 peso purchase. Now I don't shop there any more, their meat sucks anyhow. Support local business.

Back