"It's An Embarrassment": IMF Faces Humiliation, Billions In Losses As Argentina Braces For Next Default

MM never stoped printing money and, plus, he created a debt of 57 billion usd only to the IMF that was used to support his regime.

No, he did not. If anything he was more like the continuation of the previous regime than a break from it.
You know you have stopped printing money when you are able to release a commemorative coin celebrating the 25th anniversary of your currency, with no changes of name or zeroes being cut off.
Unfortunately for Argentina, Macri simply did not have the balls to do what needs to be done. The rich boy always had everything handed to him in life, so he is unable to make tough decisions that might tarnish his image.

6AXtDt6.jpg

Last edited:
No, he did not. If anything he was more like the continuation of the previous regime than a break from it.
You know you have stopped printing money when you are able to release a commemorative coin celebrating the 25th anniversary of your currency, with no changes of name or zeroes being cut off.
Unfortunately for Argentina, Macri simply did not have the balls to do what needs to be done. The rich boy always had everything handed to him in life, so he is unable to make tough decisions that might tarnish his image.

6AXtDt6.jpg
Yeah, you are right. I used economic jargon without clarifying. No government ever stops printing money. Currency is always printed at the very least to replace old and worn bills. In economic speak, "stop printing money" means to quit financing fiscal deficits with expansion of the money supply. So taken literally, you are right, I misspoke. Thank you for correcting me.

But to be clear, Macri slowed down the printing press significantly from the CFK administration. That's why he borrowed. He financed fiscal deficits with borrowed money. At the same time, he attempted to close the fiscal deficits through reduced government spending. CFK financed fiscal deficits with printed money. She expanded fiscal deficits with increased government spending. She was not able to borrow in markets, because investors knew/know is was/is a common thief.

In my opinion, Macri has lost some economic credibility in the last few days. But not for the reasons written in the newspapers or on this forum. Many Argentine bonds are trading at 50% of face value, some even lower. The BCRA has spent over $10B defending the peso over the last few weeks. With that $10B, the BCRA could have repurchased and retired $20B in debt. Or it at least could have used a portion of the $10B to retire debt at significantly less than face value. This is like paying off $100 of your mortgage for $50. Who doesn't like that idea?

Discounted debt retirement may not have improved Macri's election prospects much, as only economists would understand the value of this action. But it would have put Argentina in a far stronger economic position going forward. Admittedly, about a week ago, the BCRA bought back a small amount of government debt at face value. But not enough.

Interesting assessment above.

Nonetheless, it is indeed an embarrassment to the IMF, but what most people in the general public will remember is that it is an embarrassment to Argentina. Again.

Argentina seems to have (nearly) all the tools to get it together. Despite all the reasons I know and have experienced for why it doesn’t, particularly an accepted and expected culture of dishonesty and corruption, it remains somewhat of a mystery. I guess many are putting their lot back in with the latest cult of personality AKA CFK.
Culture of dishonesty and you name CFK whose husband paid 100% of the debt with the IMF.
FYI the President who took all this debt is Mauricio Macri, well known for being corrupt and a contrabandist, just like Pablo Escobar.

Why? Mauricio Macri was criminally sentenced for contraband, it was confirmed by the Chamber of appels and he was saved by the Supreme Court bribes in between.
You didn’t know it, right?

Yeah, you are right. I used economic jargon without clarifying. No government ever stops printing money. Currency is always printed at the very least to replace old and worn bills. In economic speak, "stop printing money" means to quit financing fiscal deficits with expansion of the money supply. So taken literally, you are right, I misspoke. Thank you for correcting me.

But to be clear, Macri slowed down the printing press significantly from the CFK administration. That's why he borrowed. He financed fiscal deficits with borrowed money. At the same time, he attempted to close the fiscal deficits through reduced government spending. CFK financed fiscal deficits with printed money. She expanded fiscal deficits with increased government spending. She was not able to borrow in markets, because investors knew/know is was/is a common thief.

In my opinion, Macri has lost some economic credibility in the last few days. But not for the reasons written in the newspapers or on this forum. Many Argentine bonds are trading at 50% of face value, some even lower. The BCRA has spent over $10B defending the peso over the last few weeks. With that $10B, the BCRA could have repurchased and retired $20B in debt. Or it at least could have used a portion of the $10B to retire debt at significantly less than face value. This is like paying off $100 of your mortgage for $50. Who doesn't like that idea?

Discounted debt retirement may not have improved Macri's election prospects much, as only economists would understand the value of this action. But it would have put Argentina in a far stronger economic position going forward. Admittedly, about a week ago, the BCRA bought back a small amount of government debt at face value. But not enough.
Sorry, but reality shows something different. You had 25% of inflation paying debt with CFK and with MM we have about 70% inflation, the rieago pais is worst than Venezuela and regarding the debt, well, it is impossible to explain it:

Sorry, but reality shows something different. You had 25% of inflation paying debt with CFK and with MM we have about 70% inflation, the rieago pais is worst than Venezuela and regarding the debt, well, it is impossible to explain it:
As I said before, stick to lawyering.

I'm not sure what you mean by "paying debt with CFK..." During the last several years of her administration, no debt was paid and no interest was paid. After fighting the hedge funds in NY court for several years, CFK deliberately defaulted on Argentina's sovereign debt, in what was the largest such default in history.

Regarding country risk, I am not sure what you are talking about. Most Venezuelan bonds are in default already. Argentina's bonds have been declared in selective default, but were immediately upgraded to triple C.

Regarding the debt being, "impossible to explain it." Perhaps it is impossible for you to explain. It is not impossible for me to explain. If you would like me to explain it to you, just ask. But please be specific. I don't understand your broad, inaccurate generalities.

As I said before, stick to lawyering.

I'm not sure what you mean by "paying debt with CFK..." During the last several years of her administration, no debt was paid and no interest was paid. After fighting the hedge funds in NY court for several years, CFK deliberately defaulted on Argentina's sovereign debt, in what was the largest such default in history.

Regarding country risk, I am not sure what you are talking about. Most Venezuelan bonds are in default already. Argentina's bonds have been declared in selective default, but were immediately upgraded to triple C.

Regarding the debt being, "impossible to explain it." Perhaps it is impossible for you to explain. It is not impossible for me to explain. If you would like me to explain it to you, just ask. But please be specific. I don't understand your broad, inaccurate generalities.

You are right! MM administration was the best in history!
They are so good that they achieved a new record: they are the first time that defaults the same government that issued the debt.

Last edited:
Back