James Petras on Argentina

bigbadwolf

Registered
At dissidentvoice.org:
The growing centrality of agro-mineral sectors and its ‘satellite’ industries (finance, commerce, farm machines, infrastructure and construction) has shifted the axes of political power from center-left alliances of urban middle class-working class and rural/urban poor to agro-mineral led mass power-bloc embracing urban small business, professional organizations, rural middle and even small farmers, disaffected urban consumers and fixed salaried employees suffering the ravages of high inflation.
Argentina: Throughout the first half of 2008, the leading agro-business enterprises with strong support from the provincial bourgeoisie, small and medium farmers organized massive and sustained lockouts, a multitudinous demonstration of 200,000 in Rosario and forced the Cristina Kirchner government to renegotiate a tariff tax on the windfall profits of grain and soya exports. The right-wing leaders of the boycott succeeded in weakening the popularity of the ‘center-left’ regime, calling into question its authority and ability to govern, while building political alliances with the urban financial and commercial sectors. Equally important, the scarcity of food (meat and grains) led to price rises, fueling inflation and provoking widespread discontent among the urban poor. There was little backing from the popular urban movements either in support of the ‘center-left’ regime or opposition to the rightist road blockages and boycott, except among sectors of the truckers unions. Clearly the rightwing agro-export-led hegemonized rural movement has replaced the unemployed workers movements as the dynamic sector of extra-parliamentary politics. As a consequence of the weakening of the Center-Left, the right-wing orthodox neo-liberals are likely to become the electoral beneficiaries.

BBW, Be warned though some people in here, do not like it when we post uncomplementary, casting Arg. in a not so attractive light,quasi- negative (anything BUT positive) stuff..even if it is the truth, personal experiences and valid learned observations about anything and everything about this country.
As always good to see you visiting us.

Igor owns and runs the site and has tolerated my presence here for close to three years.
James Petras is a perceptive analyst of world affairs. I've enjoyed his book, "Rulers and Ruled in the US Empire," and I look forward to his forthcoming one on the confluence of US militarism and zionism. I haven't seen any other analysis of what's occurring in Argentina and how it plays out vis-vis the broader social and economic dynamic in South America. It's clear that some people in Argentina are doing very well thanks to high commodity prices and it's equally clear that the urban poor will get none of it. The difference this time around is that it's clearly not the (waning) influence of the USA that's responsible for sustaining and enriching South American oligarchies (if it ever was).

"bigbadwolf" said:
Igor owns and runs the site and has tolerated my presence here for close to three years.

bbw:

I have welcomed your presence here.

As to "owns this site", several people have admin priveleges here and they can make make any decisions on their own. So far we all have used our moderation powers very conservatively. This site encourages informed debate and intellegent opinions are always welcome.

The way how content is structured is a different thing. In conventional logic strength of an argument does not increase with repetition. It looks like some people strongly believe otherwise.

Now back to James Petras :) ...

Just wondering if anyone wants to comment on the Presidents inane decision to buy back Aerolinus Argentina along with the 1 billion in debt. I have my sources telling me it will be much more than that figure. Given the current state of the aviation industry worldwide, Zoom Airline the latest to throw in the towel and disolve, Alitalia declaring bankruptcy, the high cost of fuel as a result of $120 barrel, along with host of many other issues, not to mention bad management, the question that seems paramount on everyones mind is,,,,,,,,,,,,, Why??????????The current rate of inflation ( the real rate ) is somewhere around 27% add that to the current rate of income as opposed to the current rate of spending, the question gets louder, "WHY'??????And to add insult to injury I am led to believe this was a unilateral decision of one person. Last week in a heated political discussion I was informed the this airline was not a business and was not purchased as such. Any comment on this?Well in any rate it matters none to me as anything we may have to offer is lost because History does not repeat itself in this country. Having said that, someone is in for a big fall.
regards to all

[/quote]

Back