January in BA?

booms

Registered
Hi all, how bad is the weather in BA in January? I remember someone telling me to make sure I rented in either North or South as one electricity company was so much better, so the air con wouldn't fail.

Long story, I'm planning a big trip and will be in CDMX before so could hang back there if the weather is 'insoportable'.

Also I heard rumours the government was going to allow foreigners to use foreign debit and credit cards at the MEP rate, did anything ever come of that?

The weather is awful and electricity shortages are common. Try to be somewhere else in January.

BA in January is hot (normally 30-35 degrees) and humid (regularly 70-80%) It tends not to be too changeable, the wild temperature swings from Spring no longer happen, so it's something you can get used to. If you can deal with that, you're fine.

Last year, provoked by La Niña, the temperatures were unusually high for a few days (35-40 degrees), and there was a major power cut for one day, due to everyone using their aircon. It was sorted out fairly fast, by asking industry to use less electricity for a while, but, man, it was hot. we have another La Niña this year, which I understand is due to peak this month, that might make the rest of the summer a little less extreme.

The coast is nice, up to 10 degrees cooler, endless sun, sand, there are beautiful places to stay in Buenos Aires Province (Costa Esmeralda, Mar de las Pampas, Chapadmalal, Reta...) which are extremely expensive this year: https://www.lanacion.com.ar/socieda...del-este-carilo-y-otros-destinos-nid27092022/

Last summer was not really hot, just humid. But hot is relative. I lived an Arizona where we could have weeks of 42/44. Dry heat is still hot! I live in microcentro, the power went down once last summer. For a few hours.

Last summer was not really hot, just humid. But hot is relative. I lived an Arizona where we could have weeks of 42/44. Dry heat is still hot! I live in microcentro, the power went down once last summer. For a few hours.
Yeah, it depends on what you are used to. After many years in Miami and Bangkok the Buenos Aires summers don't bother me much.

I felt like last year was pretty mild. 4 or 5 years ago, there were a couple of years in a row with very hot Januaries, and much more power cuts. Last year I had one power cut, only a few hours.
I actually love January in the city.
The city empties out, everybody goes to the beach.
I walk around, and can see the city much more, take pictures of architecture, and enjoy the calm.
Enough is still open, although many fancier restaurants do take vacations during January.

January is hot and humid but as everyone heads for the beach, I will be already back from the beach and I love to enjoy empty Buenos Aires and no traffic in the streets so for me it's great to commute everywhere really fast and do a lot of things without having to stand on lines

Back