Jew in Buenos Aires

ben94110

Registered
not much into religion but i am a jew nonetheless

I am interested in maybe checking out a progressive service with someone and/or getting together to eat some good jew food for Hanukkah

let me know if your interested or know a good temple to check out
thanks

In Argentina the jewish community do go to sinagoges. The main one is on Libertad St, almost Cordova AV (in down town).
You can visit the AMIA building in Pasteur ST (bring ID), they show movies and stuff.
However, most socializing is done in jewish country clubs located outside BA.
Some of these are:
Sociedad Hebraica, in Pilar (its offices are in Sarmiento St and Pasteur St)
Maccabi, in San Miguel
Cicssa, in Ezeiza
Acoaj rowing club, in Tigre

Good luck

The AMIA is a good place and their website has a list of events. http://www.amia.org.ar/
In Florida, north of Gen. Paz, there is a temple, reform, that has great activities.
Which ever place you decide to go make sure your bring your passport. Security is tight.
Happy Channukah!

Hey Ben,

I'm not very into my religion either, but I am Jewish and would like to celebrate Channukah. If you'd like to go to a service together or maybe just make some latkas let me know.

Im not Jewish but i did write an essay on the Jewish community in Argentina for my Jewish Life and Thought class! Here is some info:

Argentina’s Jewish community numbers more than 250,000; of that 200,000 live in Buenos Aires, 20,000 in Rosario, 9,000 in Cordoba and 20,000 in other small, rural communities, including some areas in the Sante Fe province. There are also signifcant numbers of Jews in the cities of Concordia, La Plata, and Mar del Plata. The majority of these Jews are Ashkenazi, about 15 percent are Sephardic. Nearly all the Jews speak Spanish — Ladino and Yiddish are rarely spoken.

Argentina’s Jews have numerous Jewish community organizations. The DAIA (Delegacion de Asociaciones Israelitas Argentinas) was founded in 1939 as the political arm of the Jewish community. The DAIA protects Jewish rights and represents the community in the government. Another organization, the AMIA, originally an Ashkenazic mutual-aid society that provided health and human services to Argentina’s Ashkenazi population, now serves the country's entire Jewish community.

Most of Argentina’s synagogues are traditional, lying somewhere between Conservative and Orthodox. Buenos Aires has 50 Orthodox synagogues, 21 Conservative synagogues and a few Reform synagogues. Most of the synagogues built before World War II are still in use today.

I am not Jewish, but grew up in a Jewish neighborhood, one of the most progressive groups is Yok http://www.yoktime.com/index.php, Hacoaj also has offices and facilities on Estado de Israel ave and Pringles ( Villa Crespo ). For some good take out Jewish food check out El Ciervo de Oro on Julian alvarez, between Velazco and Aguirre ( Villa Crespo )

tangobob said:
I did notice a lot of Jews around Pasture y Tucaman and wrote about it in my Blog. I did ask some rather tongue in cheek questions here http://tangogales.wordpress.com/2009/05/30/something-new-every-day/

maybe someone could answer them.

In Once and a partion of Abasto neighborhood there are mainly orthodox Jewish ( women wear wigs and long skirts, men wear hats and kipa ). There are a few kosher restaurants and stores in the area as well as several social institutions like Hebraica, Amia. These neighborhoods along with Villa Crespo ( more progressive Jewish ) are the main places where traditionally Jewish people lived. In recent years a lot chose Belgrano as well.

Nikad
You got me, just a typo on my blog I'm afraid. Still thanks for the comment.

Back